Chapter 18

Matt's POV

I just came back home after dropping off Fran to her father's house. Her father who supposedly left her.

Francisca doesn't believe that story, and....I don't know what to believe. What I am 100% sure of though was that I could not go to work today at all. So I called in sick. So now I'm just sitting on my couch drinking whiskey. Drowning in my sorrows.

I know this is the best for Francisca. She is so happy to know her family again. And I'm incredibly happy for her, I am even open to knowing her brothers who are technically my other two step sons ( I'm not getting my hopes up on that though).

Despite being so happy for her, there is still this tightness in my chest. I sigh. I just hope her father and I can reach a solution on what to do with Francisca's living arrangement going forward.

Francisca says that she doesn't want me to stop being her guardian, she doesn't want to leave my care, but I can't help but feel like if her father does want her with him, that she'd be happier there, and I'd do anything to make my girl happy.

Hell the time she spends with her real family today might make her change her mind about wanting to stay with me. And I wouldn't blame her. I could never.

Francisca texted a while ago telling me about how well the conversation with her father went, I texted her I told you so, and I was so glad I was so glad that she was happy. However....

I sigh.

I kept telling Fran that everything is going to be okay, that everything is going to turn out just fine and that's true for her, whatever she chooses. Me? I'm not sure it's going to be okay for me.

It's 9 pm when I hear the door open and close.Francisca must be back. And I'm right when I go look, it is Francisca. I immediately force myself to sober up.

When she notices me she smiles at me. "Hey" she says. I smile back. "Hey, how did it go?" I ask.

Francisca's smile widens. "It was great! My dad and I talked about everything and we caught up on our lives and I really felt like I was reconnecting with him. And then Dan and Ivan came home and—

She stops taking deeming sad now. I frown at that " what's wrong?" I say.

She clears her throat "well every thing is great with Dad and Dan but.....Ivan is really mad at me" she says with a sad tone in her voice.

"Aw honey" I go over and hug her. I hear her sniff " I couldn't even talk to him today" she says.

"Hey it's okay" I say but she shakes her head. "Don't look at the negative aspect of tonight, look at the positives, you reconnected with you father after years! You had dinner with your family, those are all great progresses and I'm sure Ivan will come around he just needs a little bit of space" I continue.

Francisca nods "how do you always know exactly what to say?" She says chuckling.

"It's a gift" I say.

She laughs and I laugh. "You hungry? I made burgers." I say.

Fran shakes her head "nah I am pretty full". She says and I nod.

"Movie then?" I ask and she smiles and nods.

I go to the kitchen and make popcorn, and head to the living room to find Fran on the couch picking a marvel movie I roll my eyes playfully and sit next to her.