[17]

"You are not in the state of mind to go in America!" Enzo tells me.

It's been a week since Alek's funeral. I can't wait any longer, or the Americans may think I won't come to them.

"Yes, I am!I am perfectly fine, Enzo!"

Enzo curses under his breath. "Then do something for me before you go,"

"Do what?"

"Go on a date with me," he says

"Enzo -"

"Please, Evelyn, then you can go."

"Okay. I will come on a date with you and after that you will let me go."

"Yes. I promise, amore, " he says, coming closer to me, placing a kiss on my lips.

"When is this date?" I whisper

"Now," He says against my lips

He hums, taking my hand in his and dragging me after him to his car.

"What do you have in mind?" I ask once we start driving.

"It's a surprise," he says, smiling.

I roll my eyes when I get a message on my phone. I take it out, and I see Matteo has texted me.

Wait. Matteo?

Isn't he in France? And we didn't even speak before.

Matteo: I know it's weird. I texted you from all the people, but Enzo is not answering his phone, and I assumed you were with him. You have to tell him that Roman is not who he pretends he is. He can't be trusted, and neither can Angelo. They work for the Americans.

Me: How do you know?

Matteo: While I was in France, I met a woman, Angela. She's from the American Mafia and was sent to kill me. Long story short, we are together now, and she told me about Roman and Angelo.

Me: I will tell him.

I knew it. I knew something was off.

"Who was it?" Enzo asks

"Matteo."

"Matteo?" He furrows.

"Yes. He told me he tried to call you but you didn't answer. He also told me Angelo and Roman and working with the Americans."

"What?!" Enzo says angrily, grabbing the steering wheel tighter.

"Yes. I had suspicions, too, but my brothers death came along, and I couldn't investigate further. "

"Why can't we just get a break?" Enzo questions."All I ask is for a day off with you, "

"In the world of the underground is no day off. It's a nonstop job." I say.

"What should we do? Take Roman to the cells and interrogate him?"

"We could - but where is Angelo?"

"At the cells also. After he tortured you and you almost died, I took him there."

I nod my head. " We can talk with them and see what information they can give us. Do we go back to the mansion?"I ask.

"Unfortunately, we have to." Enzo says, turning around the car." We can go tomorrow on a date."

"Okay,"

Enzo speeds back to the mansion, and we enter inside.

It's quiet, like no one is here.

"I'll go look for Roman," I say. "You can go to Angelo."

"Be safe," He says.

"I will." I smile and kiss him, heading upstairs to Roman's bedroom.

I don't bother to knock and simply enter.

I see Roman looking out the wall length window, and before I could say something, he speaks, "I see you figured it out," he says, turning to me, taking careful steps towards me.

"I shouldn't have trusted you." I say with a straight face.

"You shouldn't have. I really thought you would tell in an instant," he comes too close to my ear whispering,"Silenced woman. "

"Why did you betray the Italian Mafia?"

"Oh, I never betrayed it. You of all people should know what I really work as."

"You're a spy."

"Exactly. And you Italians killed Eli, you deserve to die." He smiles." Did I do a good job? Acting like the left out nerdy innocent boy? I guess I did since no one figured out. If it weren't for Angela, you wouldn't have found out, not even now." He chuckles." she got herself in big trouble for betraying us, and for what? That filthy Italian, Matteo" He scoffs "even his own brother betrayed him"

"You are so fucked, Roman" I say, in a deadly tone.

"Am I thought? I have the upper hand here, Evelyn. Guess who put your little brothers head in Enzo's office?" He smirks.

"You fucking bitch. You are so dead!" I say, walking towards him, ready to rip his head.

"Not so fast," he says, looking behind me.

I turn around and see Enzo on his knees with a gag being held down by five men and hands tied behind his back.

"Let him go," I say to the men.

"Like they would listen to you. They do what I say, Evelyn, " Roman says from behind me.

Muffled sounds come out of Enzo's voice as he tries to tell me something. 'What?' I mouth.

His eyes snap behind me, now struggling to get free, trying to speak even louder, but I can't understand.

Right when I was about to turn around, I felt a sting on my neck.

I touch the side of my neck, turning around quickly to see Roman with a syringe in his hand.

"What the fuck did you do?" I say as I feel the room spinning and stumble on my feet.

I put my hand on the wall to steady myself.

Enzo looks at me with wide eyes trying to get to me.

"Nothing that will kill you" he says with a smile.

"Ты подписал свое желание умереть, Роман."

(You signed your death wish, Roman)

That's the last thing I say before darkness takes over and fall on the ground.