t w e l v e

BEING A SURFER, I never really paid much attention to what was under the waves, but more so about what I could do on the water

BEING A SURFER, I never really paid much attention to what was under the waves, but more so about what I could do on the water. Perfecting my craft, trying to push myself harder to win, and being able to accomplish different tricks on my board.

Trying to be one of the best.

Gabi, however, is different. Standing with my hands on my hips on the smaller beach Sandy Cove has close to Atlas's apartment, I eye all the equipment that is laid out on the sand. Underwater cameras, diving equipment, coolers, and other things that I'm not sure what they are. Gabi has her wetsuit rolled to her hips as she packs some of the equipment into the correct boxes ready to take out on the ocean.

"What is all this stuff for, exactly?" I ask, flipping my glasses down off my head to cover my eyes from the bright sun. Gabi stands up, dusting off her hands and putting her wetsuit on properly, zipping it up.

"This is for my area of expertise. Yours and Easton's is surfing, Atlas's is a mix of surfing and snorkeling. Meanwhile, I am a nerd for everything that lies beneath the ocean."

I look around before a smirk tilts at my lips. "I can see that."

"I still have to conduct research for my thesis. Atlas usually comes with me, but it's nice to have another woman around for once," Gabi explains, smiling brightly. Her bubbly and contagious personality showing even more with her love for anything under the sea.

"Too much testosterone?" I joke and she laughs. "As glad as I am for the invite, not sure how much help I'm going to be."

Gabi shrugs, walking over to take the cover off Atlas's small motorboat. "I don't mind. I just like the company. Plus, it's easier to have two people load and unload all this stuff onto the boat."

I will admit I was surprised when she asked, as I have gotten the feeling she knows my aversion to the water. Getting on a boat has gotten easier to do as time has gone on from going on with Atlas to their group of friends. Continuing to improve and take those baby steps is something I want to do, which is why I agreed.

"I'll tell Atlas I'm better company than he is." I laugh and she joins in before agreeing with me.

"He won't even deny it. He's such a shit. Especially making jokes when I get sunburnt easy, thanks to my red hair and complexion." Gabi points to the freckles that keep appearing.

"Ironic, huh? You live in a beach town, yet the sun hates you," I say, and she nods her head. "Are we okay to take his boat?"

She waves me off before I help her carry the stuff to the boat, loading it up. "I take his boat all the time for research. He gives me the same speech every time I do though about not scratching it, not capsizing it, and not letting pirates take it."

I snort. "Some active imagination he has."

"You want to know where he gets those weird facts from?" Gabi asks, smirking, and I nod. "June bought him a weird fact book his first Christmas. He lived with them because they were so crazy, they'd make you laugh."