e i g h t e e n

SURFACING FROM THE ocean, the air re-enters my lungs as I pull off my snorkel and scuba mask

SURFACING FROM THE ocean, the air re-enters my lungs as I pull off my snorkel and scuba mask. Shaking my head and running my hands through my hair to smooth it back, I look at my surroundings in the middle of the ocean. The only thing that I can see for ages is my boat that is anchored.

Swimming back to the boat, I throw my equipment in and lean my arms on the side of it before drawing my attention to the woman lied on her stomach on the beach towel in nothing but a bikini as she reads her book. She pays me no attention, with her dark hair falling around her face like a curtain, blocking me from her view.

Having Thalia on the boat while I snorkel has become a regular occurrence and something I enjoy, rather than going back to an empty boat. Especially since this view is much nicer. Reaching my hand into the water, I splash her with it as it goes onto the boat, a few drops hitting her body. She flips me off and I can't help but chuckle before resting my chin on my hands.

"You got my book wet," she comments, closing her book after bookmarking it and she turns her head to face me.

"I'll buy you a new one," I say, winking at her, and she rolls her eyes. She places her book in a beach bag before sitting up on her towel and leaning her back against the other side of the boat, stretching her legs out and I can't help but notice.

"How was the dive?" she asks as I pull myself up onto the boat, as she holds the other side. Once I'm back on andsat down, I remove my fins and she hands me a towel. I thank her before drying my hair and my shirtless body, her eyes following the movement as I do before looking away, which makes me smirk.

"You should come down with me one time. See what's underneath. It's relaxing," I say, throwing the towel to another part of the boat.

She scoffs. "As amazing as that sounds, I can't even stand up to my knees in the ocean yet."

"You'll get there. I believe in you," I say honestly, and she smiles but doesn't look convinced. I lean back on the side of the boat so I'm facing her with my arms spread out over it. She tilts her head and looks at me curiously as she taps her fingers against her leg.

"Did you ever consider turning your hobby of snorkeling into a business idea? You could offer day trips as part of your business," Thalia suggests, and I raise my eyebrow before scratching my chin.

"I never really thought about that. I just love doing it as a hobby," I say, although my mind is now reeling with possibilities. "Although it sounds like a good idea. I'd love to show people how amazing it can be."

She shrugs. "Just a thought if you ever get bored. I mean, I know I'd definitely want to try if I wasn't petrified of the ocean right now."

"Promise me one thing. When you go snorkeling, don't you dare ask anyone else to take you," I say, pointing at her and she chuckles before holding her hand up in the girl scout sign as a promise.