Calm before the Storm-Past

I'd spent most of my day running around. Trying to get everything ready. It was Nero's 24th birthday and with the help of his cousin Rain and sister Nova we had planned a birthday party for him. I was excited because only four months prior Nero and I had finally decided to make it official. We had been dancing around each other for almost three years with a will they won't they vibe and finally decided to just do it. So, Nero Night was my boyfriend, and I personally could write novels on how good the sex alone was.

So, when I finally got a chance to sit down and get myself ready, I took great care. Don't get me wrong I was a bad bitch on my worst day, but I wanted to look like a five-course meal tonight. I had been texting him all day and not really getting the normal responses I usually get. I chalked it up to him being busy and continued with curling my hair. That's when he finally responded to my questions about when he would be around to my house so we could head out together. Staring at his response, my gut tightened. I don't know why but my whole body had a response to his and based on how I was feeling I didn't like it.

I picked up my phone to give him a call, hoping to get a feel for where his head was at. He's told me multiple times he doesn't feel like he must keep his 'good guy' persona up with me. That I'm an independent strong woman and that he doesn't have to worry about if his messages possibly offending me if they come off short. Supposedly it lifts the weight off his shoulders. Don't get me wrong, I still call him on his shit.

I frown when he doesn't answer. What the hell. Based off what he told me there should be no reason that he hasn't answered. Opening his text thread, I start responding to him, when another message comes through.

At this point I just decide to stop responding

At this point I just decide to stop responding. He's being an ass and I don't want to get into a fight with him on his birthday. I shot off a text to my bestie asking if she could pick me up, of course she agrees without question. I continued to ignore Nero's text and calls.

While on the way to the bar, Brandon informs me that Nero called him.

"He called to make sure we were going to pick you up, said you weren't answering.' I look into the rearview mirror and make eye contact with Brandon.

"I doubt his plan would have changed, so the concern is insincere in my opinion." I remark.

"You don't know that Leana."

"At any point in time in our relationship have you ever even considered showing up without me to an event we were both going to?" Rain adds.

"No." Brandon doesn't even have to think about the answer. It would never cross his mind to do so.

"I don't know. Something isn't sitting right." I mumble.

"Chillax bitch, I'll be there and if all else fails we will take shots from the bottle harass people and force Brandon to drive our drunk asses home."

"Oh great, so basically like any other night. Don't kiss my wife at midnight Leana."

"I make zero promises on all counts. Including throwing the empty bottle at Nero."

I talk a big game, but something told me this wasn't going to be the night I planned. Honestly, if I knew what looking back, I know now. I would have turned my ass around and one home.