- 1 -

The 10 year old leaned back against the wall as they watched people give their sorrows. There was no coffin to pay respects to, only a framed photo of their father and an urn. They looked to their mother, who had cheap mascara trailing down her cheeks. She wiped her eyes with a handkerchief as someone bid her farewell. Their mother snapped their gaze to them and started making her way over.

"(Y/N)..." The kid glanced up at the woman before dropping their gaze to the floor. "... You know..." Their mother spoke up with an tired tone, all the crying wearing her out. "I really wish you were never born."

The room went silent.

Some people whispered about how the grief made her hysterical, others started coming up with wild rumors to spread. The kid simply turned to the exit and sighed.

"The feeling is mutual."
.

.

.

Trying to quietly move around in a collapsing apartment with cigarettes and beer cans all over the floor is a lot easier after the first 5 times. Sadly most of the guys that try and 'sneak' out of the apartment are never that quiet. Like this morning.

(Y/N) opened their eyes and groaned, ducking their head under the thin sheet that covered their bed. The loud crashing and yelling of their mother and her new 'friend' was a common occurrence. Ever since their father's 'passing', Evelyn had resorted to getting drunk and sleeping around. (Y/N) stopped caring 2 years after the funeral.

Now they were 16, working as a server at a restaurant and small jobs people in the area need done. They didn't even get to go to school, they were lucky to read and write at this point.

Letting out a long yawn, the teen started shuffling around, grabbing the spare uniform from the dresser. They slipped the oversized sweater off and buttoned up the black shirt. They threw on the matching black pants and grabbed their shoes before looking around the room. They'd rather not go out when their mother is home, so they looked to the window.

Climbing onto the fire escape, they checked the small bag they had before climbing down the ladder. (Y/N) had to hurry to the restaurant if they wanted to catch the morning rush. It was the best time for tips, plus sometimes the chef would slip them some scraps if the boss wasn't in.

They let out a sigh as they saw the dark clouds in the sky. They were happy the restaurant was close, they'd rather not be stuck in the rain. They picked up the pace and went to the back of the building, slipping in the door and pushing their hair out of their face. "Morning, kid." A gruff voice called out. Jean, the cook. He'd been here for a good while. (Y/N) simply nodded towards him. They grabbed the small apron and tied it around their waist. They grabbed the small notebook and pencil and looked out to the dining room. Jean reached over and fixed the teens hair a bit.

"Look a little presentable. Get yer tips, it's a busy morning."

(Y/N) nodded and headed out, greeting the customers with a small forced smile.

"Welcome. How many?"

"This way."

"What can I get for you?"

"More tea?"

"Can I help you?"

"How many people today?"