Ups And Downs

We married a week later. But after a month or so my dear Darcy became seriously ill. Ella stayed by his side from morning till night. As his condition grew worse so did his trade. One by one the servants departed never to be heard of again. The burden of household fell upon me. I did not dare ask Ella to help me in the chores as long as Darcy was alive.

************************

A widow of two marriages, that's what people call me now. We have rented a small cottage in the outskirts of the village and are enjoying a peaceful life...or maybe not. Ella inherited all of Darcy's wealth and fortune. I didn't get even a penny. Though she is kind and would gladly help, I refuse to accept her money. All my anger on this act of Mr. Darcy is vented on poor Ella who is now facing the hardships of household chores.

************************

One day as I was searching for my make-up box I found an old diary. Scribbled on its cover in childish handwriting was written Christina- Ella's late mother. As I flipped over the pages I realized there were sketches and a few photographs of Christina Darcy. Beneath each picture the date and event was specified in a neat hand.
'It must be extremely precious for Ella.' I thought and an evil thought crept my mind. Blackmail.