The Great Day

We had to walk to the ballroom four miles away. It sure was tiring. By the time we reached the hall, we were far from being even presentable. The swear and dirt had spoiled our makeup. At places our gowns were torn due to walking amidst hedges and thorny bushes. Poor Anastasia had even scratched her arm which was bleeding quite profusely. We went to the royal fountain and washed ourselves.
Let alone the Prince, not a single man came to ask us for the dance. We stood staring in awe as the Prince danced away with the select beauties of town. Suddenly there was a flash far across the distance. I am the only one to notice it because the others are busy dancing and my daughters busy staring or dozing. Some time later a fairy entered or so we thought at the time. She was that beautiful and elegant. Though the dance was in progress, she walked straight up to the Prince and greeted him.
The Prince, he was dumbstruck at her beauty. At last he found his tongue and asked her for the ongoing dance.
His earlier partner stormed out in rage. The Prince had danced five dances with her and it was quite evident that she would be the lucky one to marry the Prince but for this girl. It was an insult to her beauty.
With locked gazes they both danced on for four hours till it was about to be midnight.

       ************************
Then the clock struck twelve. A soft scream was heard from the queen-to-be. Leaving the Prince's arms she ran out. After about  fifteen minutes he returned carrying a glass shoe similar to the one the queen-to-be was wearing. The broken Prince now seated himself with his parents. The King urged him too dance and make his selection quickly yet wisely. Finally the Queen had to explain that the decision had been made and she agreed with it. Perplexed the King sat quietly for the rest of the time. As the decision had been made we decided to leave. There is a limit up to which disgrace can be borne.
To my extreme surprise and astonishment all the work had been done. Even Drizella's room was tidy.