Chapter 47: Take The Shot

Somehow, I was able to sleep. And somehow, I was able to shove away the bitter, painful knot that had taken root in my stomach to swallow a carb-heavy breakfast and lunch in preparation for the big game. Audra had been right, and it was considerably warmer and less windy than it had been yesterday. A half hour before Coach Patel wanted us warming up on the field, I dug my sports bag for my sweatshirt and pulled out the wrong one.

Seeing Theo's name beneath the school crest hit me like a kick in the chest. My fingers twitched, fighting the urge to press it to my nose and see if it still smelled like him. But, remembering Madeleine's lips on his, I set my jaw and shoved it back into the closet. I wouldn't let memories of him pester me today. Not when I had a game to win. Instead, I pulled on my own sweatshirt and made my way down to the pitch.

Audra was already warming up in nets while Coach Patel pored over her clipboard. I dropped my bag at the bench and joined the midfielders as they jogged around the field. In the middle of a warm-up passing drill, we all eyed the Harcourt bus when it pulled into the parking lot under the dreary, grey sky.

Bouncing a ball, Audra studied our opponents as they disembarked. "Remember to—"

"Mind the bloody striker, I know," I said, as the player in question appeared.

Audra punched my shoulder. "That's the spirit."

I set my jaw against my own trembling nerves when Coach Patel called for us to huddle up shortly before game time. The bleachers had slowly filled with fans, most of them decked out in Kingsbridge red and gold. A few wore Harcourt's blue and silver near the back. There were more spectators than yesterday, likely thanks to the milder weather and lack of biting wind, but I didn't let myself look for too long. I didn't need to see which of the boys' varsity players were there. I also didn't need to see if a bright white coat was sitting among them.

"This is going to be a battle," Coach Patel said, when we all gathered around her. Deanna shuffled her legs nervously, while Audra wouldn't stop glancing towards the Harcourt bench. "But I have faith in every one of you. You've grown both as players and as a team this season, and I couldn't be more proud, no matter what happens today. So get out there, give it your all, and bring it home. Hands in, ladies."

I punched my fist to the center as Coach Patel led us in the team cheer. And then we took to the field.

"Deanna's bloody nervous. It's her last game before college, and the scouts are here," Audra mumbled before she jogged to the net. "If we do one thing today, let's make sure she shines."

I shot Audra a thumbs up, and then she raised a hand to signal to the ref at the center line that she was ready. We'd lost the coin toss, so when the ref's whistle started the game, the Harcourt strikers launched into the very same set play that had rocked us last time.

This time, though, when the ball came sailing my way, I was ready. Rather than panic like I had the first time, I caught it on my chest and managed to control it, using my body as a shield. The striker bumped up against me, and I set my jaw against the memories. But Theo's keep-away lessons had worked, and it bought enough time for our right midfielder to cut to the sideline, ready for my pivot and pass.

The second time the striker came for me, they tried their chip and run. All of Coach Patel's conditioning drills must have helped, because it was less of a runaway footrace than it had been last time. The striker got all the way to the corner, but I didn't let her get any further. When she tried to juke around me, I stole the ball away and passed it up again.

"Someone got good," she muttered as she jogged back towards her half.

I couldn't fight my grin, only for it to die when I caught myself looking towards the bleachers. Before I could pick out the varsity boys from the crowd, I ripped my gaze away.