Wattpad Original
There are 28 more free parts

Chapter 54: Having a Ball

Part Four: Opere Et Veritate

Akira glided over to the curved, golden railing, gently resting her arm atop the cool metal before casually glancing over the edge.

The capitol's towering rotunda was one of the many gems of the Republic of Texas—and by "many," there were too many "national treasures" to keep track of. Texans were internationally famous for their undying love for their country, and the war had only made that notion stronger than ever.

While Akira couldn't say she agreed with Texans on some of their stances, namely their alliance with Concordia, she had to admit that their Capitol Building was well-deserving of their praise. The main attraction was the rotunda, a four-story, thirty-meter-wide room topped with an ornate dome over sixty meters above the ground.

Below it, the second through fourth levels were each decorated with a mixture of dark wood trim, gleaming terrazzo floors, polished bronze balusters, and marble stone banisters topped with additional railings of shiny gold. Regardless of what floor guests were on, they could look up and be humbled by the dome's magnificence, or look down and admire the art on the first level. A giant depiction of the country's emblem spanned across the floor, and while it was currently covered by hundreds of guests, from the glimpses Akira could see, she could feel the pride of the Texans from the sight alone.

"M'lady," a bubbly voice said from behind her with a butchered British accent. "Would you care for a beverage?"

Danya's exaggerations were enough for Akira to release a breath of laughter from her tense chest, and her stiff lips managed to curl slightly upwards by the time she turned to face the woman.

Akira wasn't sure she could ever get over how different Danya looked. Sure, the bejeweled and feathered mask over her eyes did wonders to hide her identity, but her beautiful dark emerald dress was unlike anything she had ever worn before. Throughout her bodice and long tulle skirt were shimmering crystals that glimmered almost unnaturally in the rotunda's dim yellow light, and Akira found it difficult to take her eyes off them.

The flashiest aspect of Akira's own dress was its dark maroon color, a shade Danya had joked would be perfect to hide blood stains. Her plain domino mask, floor-length skirt, and high-neck, long-sleeved bodice probably wouldn't attract any second glances either, and that's exactly what Akira hoped for.

"It's just sparkling cider," Danya said as she held a champagne flute out, likely noticing Akira's skepticism. "Well, yours is, mine isn't. I'm advanced like that."

"Thanks, but it's not that," Akira said as she accepted the glass and used it to hide her lips. "You're glittering a little too much, don't you think?"

"Really?" Danya frowned and glanced at her bodice before shrugging. "I'd say I could go for more, but it's your call."

With her own glass in her left hand, Danya used her right to tap at her wristband. After a few seconds, her dress's shimmer simmered down, and Akira nodded in approval when it reached a reasonable level.

"Guess I'll have to go all-out another time," Danya said as she stepped up to the rail next to Akira, their arms brushing in the process. "How's the party going?"

Akira turned back towards the center of the rotunda, and she let her arm press up against Danya's when Akira leaned closer to whisper. "Nothing noteworthy. Seems like there are a few attracting attention, and while it's unwanted in my opinion, I don't think they would agree."

"Ah," Danya said knowingly, then nodded towards the opposite side of the rotunda on the same floor as them. "There's one peacock looking for their mate."

For as much as Akira was trying to dress subtly, Jivan was doing anything but. They seemed like they were aiming to incorporate every shade of purple in their gaudy tuxedo gown, complete with its billowing velvet skirt. Their mask was simple in comparison, even with its hundreds of golden curves that looped around their eyes in leaf-like patterns. Next to them, Quyen wore a tight grimace with her fitted light gray suit and black shoes with an equally plain tie and domino mask to match.