The First Days of Forever

Jack had never posed for so many photos in his life. All he wanted was to get Bailey in his arms, preferably alone, although he'd settle for dancing on the terrace right now. Why had they planned a morning wedding? Now they had the day long reception stretching ahead of them before they could finally be alone.

There were tasteful photos with his parents, his mother actually managing to smile, and more giddy photos with Bailey's parents, Adelaide and Harlan grinning in unabashed delight to see their daughter so happy. Photos of Bailey with what he was already calling her "girl posse," her ivory dress stunning with the backdrop of all those colorful sundresses and smiling faces. Photos of them with JB and Mitsy on either side of them, and the little flower girl Sophia standing in front with her empty basket of rose petals. Photos of himself and Bailey, just the two of them in more poses and at more places on the property than he'd thought possible.

They'd be able to fill an entire gallery with their wedding pictures. Which was fine. If only it wasn't taking forever.

He got that Bailey hadn't wanted to sit around all day waiting for an evening wedding, and he agreed that celebrating their marriage with a brunch buffet and music outside on the terrace, followed by an afternoon of sailing and swimming, then a more formal plated dinner in the evening right here at the spot where they first met and fell in love as kids was a really lovely way to start their marriage.

But damn, he just wanted to make love to his wife.

He squeezed Bailey's hand and leaned closer, ignoring the photographer, and whispered "I can't wait to unfasten that dress, watch it slide down your body, and make love to you for hours."

She actually blushed, and turned, raising her face to his, and he pulled her into his arms and kissed her, long and slow, standing there on the dock, with the sparkling water behind them and the sun shining overhead, while the group of women in bright sundresses gave a collective "Awwwww." And the photographer, no doubt, got busy memorializing the moment. 

When he finally released her he was sure he wasn't the only one who felt a little dizzy.

He'd thought he loved her as much as a person could love. But now, holding her in his arms, knowing that they had made the promise of forever, he felt that love expand inside him until he thought his heart might explode.

Finally the last of the photos were done, and they walked up the lawn hand-in-hand to join the guests who were already enjoying the lavish buffet orchestrated by Bridget and carried out by the caterers. In tune with their on the water theme, there was an array of cold seafood, including shrimp, crab, and an entire smoked salmon, stations where you could build your own omelet or crepe to be cooked by one of the outdoor chefs, pancakes and giant waffles and every topping you could imagine, and platters of fresh strawberries and blackberries. Bagels and cheeses and muffins and pastries of every description. Fancy mimosas and Bellini's and bloody Mary's, and an entire station set up with nonalcoholic fancy beverages because it was important to Bailey that the non-drinkers feel equally part of the festivities.

As they stepped onto the terrace, everyone paused to cheer for them. Then Mitsy rushed over and shoved the bouquet back into Bailey's hands. "All right, single ladies," she shouted, "everyone line up on the lawn behind Bailey. It's time for the toss?"

"Oh my god, seriously?" Bailey asked. "We're doing this?"

"Tradition is tradition," Mitsy quipped, and began shepherding everyone into position. "Oh no you don't," she said, catching Caylee's arm and pulling her over and shoving her into place directly behind Bailey, while Caylee protested that this was a ridiculous practice that belonged back in the 1950's.

"Stop whining," Mitsy instructed, then nodded to the videographer to make sure she caught this part of the reception on tape. Bailey faced the terrace, with the group clustered on the lawn behind her.