Chapter Twenty-Eight

The next day I was discharged from the hospital, and my mom and I made the hours-long drive back home. I had fallen asleep for the last half, but my mom shook my leg gently.

"Honey, wake up. We're almost home," she said. I pried open my eyes and sat up groggily, yawning. Then I saw that we were at the end of our block, and everywhere I turned, well-wishers with signs and smiles and waves stood. Our police escort parted the crowd as we drove slowly down our street.

"What is all of this?" I asked. "I don't even recognize these people." My mother smiled gently.

"They are all people who are just happy that you're home safe. They might not know you personally, but they've been following the news about all of this, and they are here to welcome you back," she said.

"Wow, I had no idea so many people cared," I whispered as we drove up our driveway past several news vans and people pointing big cameras at us. Then I saw some faces I did recognize. My Aunt Carol and Uncle John stood waiting by our front door, and Quinn was there too. I knew that I should be happy that these people all came to support me, but honestly I was just overwhelmed. My palms were all sweaty and my stomach rumbled.

"Are you okay?" my mother asked, noticing my pale face. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat.

"I... I don't know. It's just a lot," I muttered.

"Let's just get you inside and out of this crowd. They'll disperse soon," she assured me. I shakily opened the car door and hesitantly stepped out. As soon as my feet hit the ground my aunt had her arms wrapped tightly around me.

"Reyna!" she sobbed. With trembling hands I hugged her back. I heard people shouting questions at me, but I tried to ignore them. There were just so many eyes on me. It felt like my soul had been stripped bare.

"I think I'm going to throw up," I said, pulling away from my aunt who looked concerned. My mother quickly rushed me inside and closed the front door firmly which muffled the sound of the crowd. I wished that I could say that my return home was profound and meaningful, but I just flew to the bathroom and emptied my guts in the toilet. I felt a hand start to rub my back and on instinct I whipped around and shoved them off. My mother was looking at me hurt.

"S-sorry Mom," I choked as tears started to fall down my face.

"You don't need to apologize, sweetie. I understand, I'll give you some space. We'll wait in the living room for you, okay?" she said as she reached out to touch my shoulder before stopping herself. My mom left and closed the door quietly behind her. I leaned over the toilet as nausea started to build in my stomach.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" My head shot up when I heard his voice. "Little Reyna, all alone. Just like you deserve." I was all by myself in the bathroom. There was no one else in here with me, but that voice still echoed in my head.

"Y-you're not real," I stuttered.

"Oh really? Have you already forgotten about me? That hurts my feelings," he said sarcastically.

"I'm not going to talk to you. You're just in my mind," I whimpered.

"But you have no one else you can talk to, do you? Everyone out there, they don't know you like I do," he whispered in my ear, and I could swear I felt his breath on me. I shoved my hands over my ears and started to rock back and forth.

"No. No. No. You're wrong! Leave me alone!" I shouted, and as if from far away I heard a knock on the bathroom door.

"Are you okay in there, Reyna?" my mom asked, her voice muffled.

"Aw, you still haven't told dear old mom about me, have you? She doesn't know how I touched you, how I loved you night after night," he moaned, louder than ever even with my hands over my ears.