Education

Katara went to bed with the other girls, trying to find it in herself to relax and get some shut eye. It was hard though. She felt so far away from her family. From Aang. The chaos of the day and just learning how to survive in this world was enough to keep her mind off things, but the creaks in the boat, the soft breaths of the women sleeping next to her, and the crashing of the waves onto the side of the ship kept her awake.

Everything was so unfamiliar.

She sighed and got up and got the coat she bought that best reminded her of the one she made with her gran-gran and went outside to the main deck.

She took a seat in a corner of the lawn, feeling to small in this world to sit in the center. She leaned back and admired the stars illuminating the night sky. They all twinkled the same way they did back home, but the constellations were like none she's ever seen. It was soothing to create some new constellations, forming pictures of penguins, archers, water benders, temples, and even Momo. She didn't remember when she found sleep. Nor how she ended up back in her bed.

"Good morning, Katara" She heard from somewhere in the room. Robin, she guessed, turning to look at her, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Morning.." She yawned, getting up, moving to take off her jacket that she had put on earlier, not realizing it had been taken off. "How?"

Robin walked over, handing her a toothbrush, "Zoro had first watch and carried you back when it was time to switch. You really were asleep so I took off your jacket and shoes, tucking you in before my shift."

"Oh." Wow that really was embarrassing. That hasn't happened since before her dad left for the war. "I'm sorry, I just had a hard time falling asleep." She took the toothbrush, following her to the bathroom.

"It's no problem. If it's more comfortable for you, we can do this until you can fall asleep in bed. You just have to tell the people on watch."

"I might do that, yeah." She nodded, following her to the washroom to get a proper tour of it and to work on their hygiene.

They finished up, Katara a little confused at some of the things that Robin did like put on moisturizer and sunscreen.

"I put this on to protect myself from the sun."

"Like from midnight sun madness?" Katara asked, not impressed by this method. There was no way that a cream could help avoid that.

"No, from the UV rays."

"What's a UV?"

Nami walked in, hygiene bag in hand, "Oh hey girls."

Katara put her hairbrush down, now done, "Hello."

"UV means ultra violet. It damages the skin."

"The sun isn't Violet?"

Nami brightened at the conversation she heard when coming in, "Oh are you guys talking about the weather?! I want in."

Robin smiled, "Of course, we were talking about aspects of the sun."

"Did you know the sun is 4.9 billion miles away??" Nami smiled.

"W h a t."

"Yeah! It's honestly really cool. So is evaporation. The weather phenomenons on the islands like drum and punk hazard are incredible. To have the environment be on such polar extremes on each half is unfathomable, but that's the grand line for you." Nami kept talking to Robin, speaking about the many amazing things she was theorizing about the weird islands they went on, not really having anyone to talk to about it. At one point Katara left, feeling way out of her league with the topic of conversation.