CHAPTER NINE: SPARKS FLY

Ellie lived in a haunted house.

She had been sure of that for a while now. However, there was no usual sign of a phantom that wandered the halls. No apparitions, cold spots, or whispering voices. The cabinets were still through the day and night, and she didn't wake to weird scratches or injuries. Ellie remained certain that the house was haunted.

She woke to the smell of coffee. Blinking sleep from her eyes, she slowly remembered last night, sleeping beside Marlowe in the guest room. Marlowe was absent from the bed, and the camcorder lay on the bedside table, earbuds wrapped around it. Ellie sat up and stood from the bed, the wooden floors cold underneath her.

Ellie frowned and wondered why she didn't smell eggs cooking or hear bacon sizzling. Joel always made the same thing in the morning to have with his coffee. She trotted down the stairs, half expecting to see the older man standing in front of the sink, sipping hot coffee and staring out the window to the city beyond.

Instead, Marlowe stood in his place. Long copper hair tumbled down her back. She wore the same fleece pullover and pajama shorts from the previous night. In her hands was one of Joel's coffee mugs, a handmade ceramic piece with an owl carved into the front. Heat rose off of the piping hot coffee.

"Shit," Ellie mumbled, her shoulders dropping in defeat. She thought she had been quiet enough, but Marlowe startled and turned to her.

"I'm sorry." Marlowe said, "Did I wake you?"

The brunette shook her head and walked ahead, coming to stand beside Marlowe at the sink. She took a deep breath and inhaled the scent of freshly brewed coffee. The pot was half filled, and the bag of beans lay next to the old machine.

"I hope it's okay that I made some," Marlowe said, noticing Ellie's gaze. "I couldn't find any tea."

"It's fine. I didn't know you liked the stuff, anyway."

The medic shrugged, "it's okay. Though I wasn't expecting to end up making black coffee this morning. You're out of milk,"

Right, Ellie reminded herself. She had forgotten to get more before she left.

"We can stop by the store later and pick some up,"

Marlowe sipped on the coffee again. It was bitter and scorched her tongue, but she could already feel the caffeine taking hold of her body. The morning became brighter, sharper. The counter dug into Ellie's hips as she leaned against it, arms crossed.

"Did you sleep okay?" Marlowe asked.

Ellie froze and had to clear her throat. "Yeah. Yeah, I did, thanks,"

An unmistakable smile tugged at Marlowe's lips, and the brunette looked down at her feet bashfully.

"Why didn't you wake me earlier?" Ellie inquired,

"You needed the sleep, and I-"

A knock rang out from the front door. The women glanced at each other nervously, their apprehension clearly mirrored.

"Are you expecting anyone?" Marlowe asked,

Ellie shook her head and exited the kitchen, and weaved through the living room. She opened the door, and Tommy appeared on the other side. His hands tucked into his coat pockets. A younger man stood behind him.

"Morning?" Ellie stated.

"Morning," Tommy replied. "I was wondering if I might talk to you and Marlowe if she's around?"

Marlowe retreated from the kitchen sink and made for the front door.

"I'm here," she called,

Ellie held open the door and let Tommy and the stranger pass into the house. The stranger was at least a decade older than Marlowe and Ellie, though he still held traces of youth in his square face. His hair was slicked back, and emerald eyes scanned the interior of the house. He wore simple blue jeans and a denim jacket over a faded graphic tee.