CHAPTER ELEVEN: BOMBSHELL

Sleep was a stupid idea.

At some point that Marlowe couldn't remember, she had pulled her saddle bags closer to her, used them as a pillow, and curled up against the wall of the truck bed. The sun was starting to rise, pushing against the inky blackness of the night sky as Marlowe fell into the hands of sleep.

The medic felt a gentle tug at her shoulder and looked up to see Ellie standing there. "Hey sleepy head, time to wake up. We're almost at Bozeman."

Marlowe yawned and stretched her limbs, peering down at the rambling country road. An early morning fog had descended, filling every hollow of the flat landscape with its cottony tendrils, dipping into the ground in a light spray of mist. The air smelled faintly of wildflowers and wood smoke, mixing under cloudy skies and the sky was changing colors with the rising sun, pinks and oranges glazing into the horizon. The snow had finally stopped falling, dripping lazily from the pines and maples lining the dirt road.

In front of them, Marlowe could make out a town nestled in a valley between two rolling hills.

"Greta said they are gonna drop us off at the base there, but we are on our own from there," Ellie said, and Marlowe turned back around to her.

"Did she say how long it will take to get to Belgrade?"

"On foot? Three hours. We might be able to hitch a ride from a convoy if we are lucky."

Sadness settled in Marlowe's chest. If the horses were still alive, they could have cut their time in half.

"Okay."

Marlowe felt a deep rumble of the engine vibrating through her chest as the truck sped along the highway toward Bozeman. The further they traveled, the denser the air seemed to become. With each passing mile, Marlowe's dread grew, and she nervously twisted and untwisted the buckle of her saddlebag, trying to repress her mounting anxiety. As they pulled into Belgrade, her heart raced, preparing for what awaited them.

As they approached the base, the truck slowed down, and Greta signaled them to get ready to jump off. Marlowe signaled to Ellie, and the two women grabbed their bags and jumped off the back of the truck.

The ground was hard and unforgiving, and Marlowe stumbled as she landed. She quickly regained her balance and looked up to see Greta waving from the driver's seat as she drove away. The sound of the engine faded into the distance, leaving Marlowe and Ellie alone on the empty road.

The two women stood there for a moment, taking in their surroundings. The base in front of them was large and imposing, with a high fence running around its perimeter. Marlowe could see guards patrolling the walls, armed and alert.

As they approached the gate, a young soldier stepped out of the guardhouse and stopped them. "Hold up. What's your business here?"

Marlowe stepped forward. "We need to make our way to Belgrade."

The soldier eyed them skeptically. "Belgrade, huh?"

Marlowe nodded. "We've been stationed there, from the folks out in Reno,"

The guard raised an eyebrow and let out a low whistle. "I don't envy you. Belgrade is a mess right now."

Marlowe's heart sank, but she knew they had to keep going. "We understand. Can you let us through?"

The soldier hesitated for a moment before nodding and unlocking the gate. "Alright but be careful out there. And keep your heads down."

Marlowe and Ellie thanked him and made their way through the gate.

The base was a bustle of activity, with soldiers moving around, loading, and unloading trucks. Like ants for their colonies, they heaved boxes and crates full of supplies and food. They stationed armed men and women around every corner, sharp eyes following the flow of traffic. Marlowe and Ellie made their way through the crowds, trying to blend in as much as possible with the other civilians.