Chapter 3

Whisper

"There's my girl!" Elle says with excitement as I enter my office.

Before I could even take a breath to greet her, she notices my odd behavior.

"Are you nervous about tonight's race?" She asks.

"Not at all, you know me Elle." I roll my eyes back as if she doesn't know already that I'll win the race effortlessly.

She winks at me with a soft smile. Elle is my best friend from college. I laid my eyes on her as soon as she stepped in the first class of that year. She has this gorgeous long blonde hair with natural loose curls, hazel eyes and perfect smile, a literal model. Her aura is always so vibrant it is hard to miss her presence.

"Are you feeling alright Val? You seem bothered."

"Yes I'm fine, it was just a weird morning. I'm glad I made it to the meeting on time." I let out a shaky breath.

"Have you seen the terrified look on your face? Come on talk to me." Elle sits besides me on the sofa allowing herself closer to me.

"This man was staring at me viciously across the elevator of my apartment building. He had this dark energy on him that made me feel threatened." I say while resting my head back on the sofa looking at the ceiling.

"Did he say anything, do I know him?" Elle says with a worried look.

"No, that's the weird part. He didn't say a single word. I don't think you know him Elle, it's the first time that I have ever seen him."

The office phone starts ringing.

"I got it." I say.

I got up walking towards my desk feeling annoyed. There's an unknown number calling.

I give Elle a curiosity look and she nods her head in disagreement. I pick up the phone despite of her worried look not knowing what to expect.

"Hello?"

The only thing I can distinguish through the call is a man breathing heavily and a busy street noise in the background. Several seconds pass with no response. What is up with people not talking today.

"Is anyone there? Hello?" I repeat myself frustrated. No answer.

As I was about to hang up the call I hear a faint whisper through the phone.

"Viper." The call ended.

I freeze. No one ever calls me Viper unless I'm at a racing show. Who is doing this? How did they get my work number? I never give my personal information to my opponents. They all know me just by my nickname.

"Val what did they say?" Elle sees how concerned I am.

I don't even know how to respond. I sit down at my desk and bury my face in my hands.

"Someone found my work number and knows I'm Viper." I mumbled

"I'm sure its just a prank, probably they do this with all the pretty black haired girls with blue eyes in the area they find online." Elle says to comfort me.

I look up at her worried.

"Don't worry Val, they just wanna intimidate you for tonight's race. They know you are unstoppable, they cant handle your power."

I appreciate Elle so much. She always finds a way to brighten up any situation that comes in her way. I am so lucky having her as my best friend.

I get up walking towards her and give her and give her the tightest hug ever.

"Thank you so much Elle. Now, let's go to my apartment and get ready for tonight." I say with excitement.