Chapter 9: Leaving Home

——————————🪡——————————

The next night, Maleficent and (Y/n) watched Aurora interact with more fairies. (Y/n) watched with a smile, while Maleficent was watching with a look of regret. He wanted so badly to take the curse back. (Y/n) had been right. Aurora was an innocent child, and she didn't deserve to suffer for something her father had done.

Aurora looked up at (Y/n) and Maleficent and pranced over to them.

"Do all the Fair People have wings?" She asked Maleficent.

"Most do." He replied.

"Then why don't you and Godmother have any? All the other fairies fly." Aurora pointed out.

(Y/n) moved her gaze to the floor, knowing that wings were a very sensitive topic for him.

"(Y/n) is a human, like you. As for me, I had wings once, but they were stolen. That's all I wish to say about it." Maleficent said curtly.

Aurora seemed to not hear that last part and kept asking questions. "What color were they? Were they big?"

Maleficent paused for a moment before speaking. "So big they dragged behind me when I walked. And they were strong. They could carry me above the clouds and into the headwinds. And they never faltered. Not even once. I could trust them."

He looked down slightly, saddened by thinking about his stolen wings. Aurora could see that he was upset, and placed a comforting hand on his arm.

Maleficent looked at her for a moment, then walked away. Aurora watched him go, feeling slightly guilty.

"I fear I may have upset him, Godmother." She confided to (Y/n).

(Y/n) gently took her hand and looped her arm with her own. "It's not you, Aurora. It's just very painful for him to talk about. It was painful enough for me, that's for sure."

"Godfather is very lucky to have you." Aurora stated. "He stares at you all the time."

(Y/n) raised her brows and felt her face grow warm. She chuckled awkwardly. "Um...well sometimes I think it's the other way around."

...

Maleficent and (Y/n) sat under a large tree, watching Aurora interact with more of the creatures of the Moors. One giant fairy that looked like a bird floated towards Aurora and she slowly lifted her hand up to stroke its head.

Maleficent watched her with a thoughtful expression, and decided that she had a right to know about what he had done.

"Aurora, come here." He called.

Aurora turned away from the creature and came over and sat down next to Maleficent.

"Yes?" She wondered.

"There's something I have to tell you." Maleficent said.

"What is it?"

He opened his mouth to tell her, but suddenly couldn't find the words.

"There is an evil in this world, and I cannot keep you from it." He explained.