Chapter 4

"I can't believe we managed to pull this off in less than a week," Lexi said, trying to settle her shaky hands. The sleepless nights of work and hacking into the LMU system were necessary to get set up for Orientation in time. Yet they also called for a considerable amount of coffee to be consumed.

"Welcome to college!" Jason said as they pulled up beside their dorm room. As soon as he parked, he turned to face Lexi and Mindy seated in the back. "Alright, it's time we catch this crook. So, remember girls, from now on you'll only call each other by your aliases. Even in your dorm room alone, just call each other Hannah and Windy to be safe." The girls nodded in response.

"And Cole," he started as her turned to his son in the front passenger seat, "has your mother texted yet?"

"Negative."

"Ah okay. That's alright. You can stay at home tonight and until we're able to get you set up. But, like I said before, you're upperclassmen anyway so it wouldn't be the end of the world if we don't manage to get you into a dorm. Just be sure to take part in all the off-campus student programs. Who knows, maybe our guy, or girl, is living off campus?" Jason turned to Lexi, beaming. "How's everyone feeling? Everyone excited?"

Mindy nodded vigorously, while Lexi took in a deep breath and smiled. The churning in her stomach hadn't stopped all morning and on the way over to the campus. "We should go," Lexi said, grabbing her bag.

"Sorry we can't help set you girls up in your dorm! We'll catch up with you after we set up everything on our sides."

"It's fine, Dad. Thanks for driving us. We'll see you guys in a few days after classes start."

The girls gathered their things and went up to the dormitory's check-in desk. The brightly decorated green grass and large welcome signs plastered across the front of the red brick building lacked nothing in school spirit. The bustle of students created a buzzing energy that made its way through Lexi. We're doing this. I can't believe we're actually doing this.

"Hi ladies! Welcome to Thompson Dormitory! We're so happy to have you here with us!" a young rosy-cheeked girl with strawberry blonde hair said. Her bright purple lanyard swayed against her bright yellow LMU as she picked up her clip board. "Names?"

"Hannah Foster," said Lexi, smiling back at the girl.

"Oh! You're Hannah! I saw you, and I presume Windy Gallant," she glanced at Mindy before continuing, "were last minute adds to the check-in sheet! And I also saw you're both computer engineer majors, just like me. We're going to be best friends, I just know it!"

Lexi smiled and Mindy jumped in. "No way, girl! That's amazing! We're so excited to be here. You have to come hang out with us sometime."

Mindy is way better at this than I am. I'm so glad we're doing this together. "Um, uh – what's your name?" Lexi managed to ask.

"Oh! Silly me. I'm Charlotte!" She held up her lanyard as if it was Exhibit A, before continuing. "It's so nice to meet you both. I'll be on your floor, so if you ever need anything or have any questions don't hesitate to ask!" she said in the most cheerful voice Lexi had ever heard. "Anywho, here are your key cards to get into the building, your keys to your room, and all of the information needed to get around campus. Go Eagles!"

"Go Eagles!" Mindy cheered back with a fist in the air.

Lexi and Mindy thanked Charlotte and made their way to their empty dorm room, which only had two beds, two closets and two desks jammed right next to each other in the four hundred square foot space. As soon as the door closed, Mindy turned to Lexi. "She's the killer! I just know it!" They both threw their stuff down and began laughing.