Chapter 21

"We should go say hi!" Wes said as they filed into the long line to get their tickets scanned. Lexi expected nothing less for a Marvel movie opening night, but what she didn't even think to expect was seeing Tom there.

"No, that's alright. He looks busy. Better not disturb him," she said, tucking herself behind Wes in line. She peeked over at Tom who was further along in the queue and getting his tickets scanned. He still hadn't seen her, and Lexi had every intention of keeping it that way.

Yet, before she could duck back behind Wes, Tom glanced over and did a double take. Lexi quickly looked away and Wes wrapped an arm around her, pulling her up beside him. "What are you doing back there?"

Lexi was now in full clear view of Tom who stood there, his gaze shifting from the ticket checker back to Lexi. His expression was unreadable, and it sent her pulse racing. He moved to the side to allow others to get their tickets scanned and mentioned something to his brother. Oh, God. Is he waiting for us? His brother looked back at Lexi, likely being alerted to her presence, and smiled.

The brothers stood behind the roped-off area, each holding a large bucket of popcorn and not making any effort to move toward the assigned theater entrance. Tom's back was to Lexi and he was saying something to his brother, who couldn't seem to wipe the large smile off his face. "Hannah?" Wes asked, pulling Lexi out of her thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"Did you hear what I asked?"

"Oh, sorry no. Do you mind repeating it?"

"I was asking, are you excited to watch the movie?"

"Oh, um, no. I mean, yeah. Yeah, I'm excited."

Wes gave her a warm smile, let go of her side, and reached into his pocket to grab his phone to scan the tickets. By now they were just a couple of feet away from Tom and Greg. The closer they got, the more Lexi's heart hammered against her rib cage, desperately wanting to jump out. Greg nodded to his brother, and Tom quickly turned around with a wide smile. "Hey! Wes, Hannah. Good to see you guys!" he said in a voice that was too cheery for comfort.

"Hey, Professor Miller. Good to see you too! What movie are you heading in to watch?" Wes clasped onto Lexi's hand and Tom stole a glance at the action. His nostrils flared a fraction before he smiled up at Wes. Up close, Lexi could clearly see some grown-out stubble on his cheeks, making him look even more attractive than she thought possible. Her heart was continuing its riot against her chest, and she took in a deep breath to try to slow it down.

"The new Avengers. What about you?"

"Oh, same!"

"Why don't we sit together?" Tom asked without a moment of hesitation.

"There are assigned seats!" Lexi said a little too loudly and curled her lips to stop herself from saying anything else.

"We'll just trade with some people. It'll be fine. Anyways, should we head in?" Tom paused for a moment before realization seemed to dawn on him. "Oh! This is my brother, Greg, by the way. Greg, these are two of my students, Wes, and Hannah."

"It is a pleasure to meet you," Greg said before giving Lexi a knowing smile. He shook Wes' hand and turned to shake Lexi's. "Tom is a great teacher, no? Very involved with his students'...success?"

"Uhh yeah, Mr. M is great," Wes said a little awkwardly.

"Alright, let's go. We don't want to miss the trailers," Tom said after tugging his brother's arm.

"That was kind of weird," Wes whispered to Lexi as they filed behind Tom and Greg. "We don't have to sit with them if you don't want to."

Lexi smiled up at him and nodded. "Thanks, yeah, let's not. It's kind of weird to sit through a movie with a professor."