19. Fighting Devils

Devils still surrounded Erebus; however, eight enemies had turned to six within a blink of an eye. Erebus spun, flickering between the shadows and making it difficult for others to see how he moved.

The regular Devils were easy to take down. Their steps were slow and sloppy, but the two officers, unfortunately, had skills. When he moved to slice his dagger across one Devil's throat, an officer blocked his movements with his sword and kicked him in the chest.

Erebus jumped backward to avoid most of the impact but still felt a sharp pain in his chest. He didn't have much time to recover because the officer in charge followed up and swiped down with his sword. Erebus dodged, missing the blade but feeling the air rush past his nose. He heard something crack. He saw a black horn fall in front of his eyes.

He was initially surprised, unsure where the horn came from, and remembered he had one on his head. The officer chuckled, and his eyes gleamed as if he had mortally wounded Erebus. While Erebus was distracted, the officer lunged with his sword. Erebus cursed when he realized his predicament belatedly. He threw himself to the side, knowing he would at least avoid a severe wound, but was shocked when no pain came.

His eyes widened when he saw an arrow pierced into the hand of the officer. Erebus grinned, feeling the shadow mana in the arrow. Nash must have broken out from his bonds and decided to take a risk. Erebus swore to thank him later.

He moved fluidly to the other Devils, stabbing one in the heart. Before the Devil fell to the ground, another Devil had his throat sliced from behind.

A sword swung venomously at Erebus' neck. He ducked to avoid it but realized his mistake as a knee crashed into his face. He flew backward violently. He circulated his mana to stop himself from flying back too far and jumped back to his feet. He felt blood drip from a cut under his eye. The remaining officers' coordination should not be something to scoff at.

"How?" The officer roared the question.

Erebus chuckled. "You have to be more specific than that."

"To be able to move after your horn has been damaged."

Erebus brightened up. "Oh? The pain is that critical?" 

He moved to a Devil who was trying to escape. He arrived behind him and held an arm around his neck. He embedded his mana into the blade and sliced upward, slicing the horn in half.

The Devil writhed in pain and collapsed. He spasmed horribly and screamed in agony. Erebus clicked his tongue. "How horrible."

He moved quickly and stabbed the Devil to end his suffering in a single breath. His nature was to be cruel, and his methods were ruthless. It was how he knew how to survive, especially in the heart of the Devils' land. He may have granted this Devil a merciful death, but his expressionless face showed that he did not mind making them feel pain.

The Devils remaining shivered a little and held up their blades with trembling hands. They all had the same question in their mind. Did this monster cut off a horn as an experiment? When the horn is forcibly separated, it is like someone digging out their organs while awake. The pain was incomparable.

Erebus straightened and looked at the three remaining Devils. "I was ignorant. Who would have thought that the Devils had such a blatant weakness... Still, I don't like using such methods in the middle of a meaningless battle."

Erebus would store this information as a possible life-saving resort. It was a weakness he was glad to know.

The officer flinched hearing Erebus's words. "What the hell are you?"