33. The Facility (2)

Erebus felt his rage trembling inside him as he examined all the bodies. The torture they endured was horrendous. He was about to use a rune to dispose of the bodies, so they were not on display until he heard a quiet sniffle.

Erebus moved to the sound and saw a small fae child huddled in the corner, trying to hide. Erebus knelt before him and felt his heart break for the child. His wings had been cut off, and his back was bleeding.

"Child?" Erebus called out softly.

The child winced and looked up at Erebus with immense fear. He curled up to try to make himself smaller but bumped his back into the wall, causing him to cry out in pain.

Erebus gave him a concerned look. "I know I don't look trustworthy, but I am here to help," he tried to explain to the child.

But when the child didn't respond, he changed to the Spirit Realm language. "I'm friends with the Amarok Wolves. I came with Asle and that pup, Ove."

The small child stopped shaking and gave Erebus a surprised look. "You did?"

Erebus nodded and brought out some bandages. The boy let him wrap up his wounds while he sniffled. "Mister, they took my wings..." He started to cry heavily. "I haven't... learned... how to... fly yet."

Erebus gently pulled him into an embrace and lifted him. "They did something unforgivable."

He checked on the fae's crystal core and was relieved. He was a strong fae with pure magic. He circulated mana around his legs and floated in the air while holding the fae child.

"Look down," he said to the crying child.

The child looked down and saw Erebus floating. He gasped. "How are you doing this?"

"If your magic is strong enough, you can fly without wings."

"Do you think I will be able to fly like this?" The fae child still had tears falling down his face, but his eyes held a small light of hope.

Erebus chuckled. "You have such a strong and pure magic inside of you. I am only human, but you are a fae who belongs to the skies. Nothing will stop you from soaring."

The small fae child wrapped his arms tightly around Erebus' neck and cried softly. Erebus rubbed his back, carefully avoiding his wounds.

"What's your name, little one?"

"Trev," the fae answered quietly.

"Okay, Trev. I'm going to take you to some wolves to take you outside. Ove is waiting there." Erebus said.

"You're not going with me?" His voice sounded sad.

"I'm going to help those on the lower floors and meet up with you later." He looked around at the grotesque room. "Keep your eyes closed for me until I tell you to open them."

He didn't argue and obediently closed his eyes. Erebus ran out of the room and back upstairs. He was relieved to see a wolf still down there and stopped in front of it. The wolf noticed the wounds on the child, and a growl rumbled in his chest.

"Okay. You can open your eyes now." Erebus said to the fae.

He opened them and turned to see the wolf. He gave the wolf a tearful smile. "Hi, Bucca."

The wolf, Bucca, let out a sad whine when he examined Trev and licked his face. Erebus lifted Trev and placed him on Bucca's back.

"Uncle!" He cried out when he saw that Erebus backed away.