63. The Hive (3)

Too much needed to be said between Leo and Erebus, but it was not the time. They set aside everything to focus on infiltrating the Devils' hive. Erebus was not in the best physical state, so the mages did their best to heal him and replenish as much mana as possible.

When they selected the troops accompanying them inside the hive, Erebus could stand firmly as if he did not suffer an ailment. However, Leo could still see a slight tremor in his hands. 

Erebus noticed Leo's stare. "I'm well enough to do this," he whispered so no one else could hear him. 

Leo sighed. "You push yourself too much."

Erebus felt the urge to tell him everything—about how he had lived centuries like this. He moved from one battle to the next and always suffered through a new crisis. It almost seemed easy to reveal it to Leo, to the point he felt his heart race, but he wasn't sure if it was due to excitement or fear. He pressed a hand against his sternum, willing himself to calm down. 

The group lined up in front of Erebus and Leo, breaking him from his thoughts. Erebus gently patted Leo's shoulder before he stepped forward to examine the men and women before him. 

He was relieved to see Comet and Claire in the mix. The runemasters and Shadow Guards would help with his goals. They needed distractions only runemasters could provide and the elite stealth from the Shadow Guards. 

"We must move as fast as possible, but the inside is a labyrinth. There is only one entrance, but it is extremely easy to lose your way. Leo, Claire, and I will infiltrate to rescue the prisoners. We need to move quickly and stealthily. We cannot afford the Devils finding us." Erebus explained.

He then nodded towards Comet. "Comet, you will be in charge of the runemasters. I need you to set lures to bring the Devils out and trap them. They cannot retreat into the hive. Nash, you will lead the attack outside. They will be coming out of a bottleneck, so you should be able to pick them off easily."

He gave them all a severe look. "Do not underestimate them. They have a dozen Devils in the early King Realms and a few in the intermediate King Realm. Also, some Devils have a mana core forcibly implanted in them."

Nash whistled. "We're facing the serious troops."

Erebus nodded. It will only get more complicated from here. "The room holding the prisoners is covered in runes that will suppress your shadow mana, so only a few of us with the best proficiency will enter."

Erebus turned towards the High Seperent sect members. "You have done much to keep me safe during this time, and I will carve this favor into my heart. But now I must ask that you protect our princess and offer aid to Nash."

Claus saluted him. "We will put our lives on the line to ensure that nothing will be able to touch her."

"Be sure to preserve your lives. I want us to all come back from this." Erebus said with a small smile. 

Erebus led the group but stopped in front of the hive entrance. The tension was thick in the air. They knew they would be fighting an uphill battle and needed to outwit their enemies, who greatly outnumbered them. 

Erebus took a deep breath, ready to enter the hive once again. "Keep up with me, and do not get separated. Comet will make sure to paint the entrance red, so if you somehow lose your way, I can only suggest following the scent of blood."

They all knew what he meant, and they steeled their minds. Erebus was the first to lead the charge and merge into the shadows. Leo, Claire, and the others were quick to follow. They were like a blot of ink that bled into the shadows of the valley, making the shadows darker than usual, and then they moved like water through the entrance.