Chapter 13: Philip Banks Is Kind Of An Asshole

Adam

Yesterday was another eventful day, only to be expected after sorting out Hans' will.

Gordon gave Jesse, Fulton, Guy, and Portman jobs at the Ice Palace. They started to help clean and fix up the place a little after school.

It seemed to start off okay, but eventually, when they were to be without adult supervision at all times, I was sure chaos would ensue.

Charlie and I had also planned on volunteering to help out at the rink, but Jan said that he would need a hand, too, with the store, since it was just him running it. Someone would need to look after it whenever he had to go visit his mother.

Jan also agreed to start working with Charlie on his driving during the three months before he was allowed to get his learner's permit. I too was going to be able to get my permit soon, as I had started the classes right before my birthday. I just need to go to one or two more classes and I'd have completed my thirty required hours. Then, I'd need to pass the knowledge test; I had already taken the behind the wheel instruction.

It was an understatement to say Charlie was excited. Even as I watched him this morning, I could tell. He's finally come to some sort of acceptance of the past and his feelings with the help of his old friend's letter, now to be replaced with a buzz of being able to drive.

A puck whizzed past me, breaking me from my daze. On autopilot, I pivoted, sweeping the puck past the goalie and into the net. The buzzer sounded  confirming the point, then again for the end of the game. Before I knew it I was being surrounded by my teammates.

Charlie reached me in a hug first, followed by Guy, Dean, Fulton, and lastly Goldberg.

"Nice shot, Cake-Eater!" Averman exclaimed, throwing his fists in air as he barreled into the group hug from the bench. The rest of the team followed behind them while Coach stood, still in the bench area, shaking his head, a defeated smile on his lips. Even he couldn't stop the probably embarrassing excitement that coursed through the team after a victory.

That was my last sight of him over Charlie's head before I was practically strangled by the rest of the team.

"Guys," I pushed someone (Dean, maybe) away with a laugh mixed with a cough. "I need to breathe?"

My plea was lost in the cheers and I gave up, accepting the rowdiness of the second game win. Eventually Coach broke us up, patting me on the back.

"One heck of a goal, Banks," he said, tone approving, with a small smile. I nodded, containing a smile of my own. It wasn't the first time we scored a goal, but it was our first shut-out of the season. The score was two to zero all thanks to Julie and Goldberg, who should've been getting all of the praise.

I skates over to the two goalies/defensemen and held out hands to high-five both of them. "Great game, guys!"

Julie beamed, her eyes bright. "You too, Banksie!"

"Yeah," Goldberg agreed. "You'll be onto the Juniors sooner or later, Cake-Eater! You got it in the bag!" He clapped my back and I laughed, but a weird feeling of doubt arose in my stomach.

'Why is the idea of Juniors over Eden Hall so appalling?'

But I knew.