Chapter 12

Yesterday just dragged on and on for almost an eternity, I couldn't wait to play football, I'd had butterflies in my stomach all day long.

We were playing home against Milton and still waiting for the other team to come out of the changing rooms onto the pitch.

Coach had given us a big lecture pre match on how we needed to give 110%, I wanted to say it was mathematically impossible but thought better than to argue with him.

Eric had also been rather quiet today too, I think today was an all new record for the least amount of taunts from him, sure there was still a football match to go but I figured this was extra curricular and as it was after school, it didn't really count.

Jackson waved a hello as we arrived, I'd not spoken to him since Monday night, the same night I had an odd sex dream about him, I was showering at school after a football match, there was no one else in the room to start with.

But then Jackson came in and pressed me up against the shower screen, his paws holding my hands above my head, the rest was a bit fuzzy, I guess my mind trying to fill in the gaps at what a naked Jackson looked like, sure I'd seen porn before I knew what to expect.

But in my dream, well... I couldn't picture it, and of course I woke up, you know as you do my boxers a little wet and my heart racing, and now I was staring at that same face.

I wanted to tell someone about my dream, did it mean anything? It wasn't the kinda of thing I was going to tell Ella about, and Jackson well... I'm sure that would go down great.

Maybe my mind was all just messed up wondering what to do about the showering situation, at least that part was solved, coach said I could use the teachers' showers, they were individual cubicles. And getting changed in there earlier while it meant I didn't have any awkward stares, I also felt apart from the team.

I know it was better this way, but I just felt isolated, left out perhaps, all the jokes and talk after the match, I wouldn't hear any of it, and I guess I wouldn't be part of it either.

I shook the thought from my mind as Milton's players funneled out onto the pitch, the supporters sat in the crowd cheered, a sea of fans wearing red tops mostly outnumbering our own supporters wearing the light blue top.

We were playing at home too so I did wonder why we had the smallest crowd, as I scanned the stands it was mostly parents, some dads taking it way too seriously, I had implicitly told my mom and dad they didn't need to come, but I could bet any money they would be in the stands somewhere

And sure enough I spotted my sister on my dads shoulders, they were near the back trying to stay inconspicuous, it kind of made me smile, I know I told them not too, but they came anyway, I now I was more determined than ever to prove I belonged on the team.

The problem was, I couldn't prove anything sat here on the bench, and I understood it when coach told me I wouldn't be in the starting line up, the team was already established when I joined, there was already another forward playing my position, a guy called Danny

As play kicked off I sat and watched, feeling helpless, I'd stand up each time the ball got closer to our own net, willing someone to kick it back up the field, I even found myself cursing when Milton scored their first goal 10 minutes in.

The teams overall moral seemed to drop and instead of fighting and pushing the ball forward into Milton's half, they instead had a long hard battle around our own midfield, the increasing frustration from our players left gaps open and the ball just slid through.

Our defenders did everything they could and would constantly knock the ball back up the field, desperate to keep any more shots getting too close to the net.