13

NOW

WILL

It was finally Friday. My favorite day of the week for one and only one reason: it was the day coach went easy on us during practice. While during the week coach had us hitting the gym until we were a puddle of sweat, and then gearing up to start our actual practice, on Friday, coach cut our time in the gym in half, and practice was not as focused on technique, but on teamwork.

Today's practice had been good. We had been divided into two teams, and mine had won by three goals. My feet hurt from a long day wearing skates, but I was in such a good mood, I thought nothing could ruin my day.

That was until I was sitting in the parking lot, checking my phone before driving home, when I saw three missed calls from the high school.

My chest tightened and my mouth went dry as I called the number back. I prayed that nothing was wrong, that Nathan was okay. I could never forgive myself if something had happened to him and I had been too busy to answer the damn phone.

"Come on, come on," I muttered, hoping someone would pick up.

"Hello?" A female voice answered.

"Hey, it's William Mitchell. I'm sorry, I have three missed calls from this number, is everything okay?" I asked.

"Oh, Mr. Mitchell. This is Principal Evans. Everything's fine, Nathan is fine. We do need you to come here and pick him up, he's in detention. He should be out in fifteen minutes." The principal said.

"Detention? Why, what did he do?" I asked, pulling out of the parking lot, but letting out a breath I had been holding. At least Nathan was fine.

"I think we should discuss this in person when you pick him up." She simply said.

"Okay, I'll be there in ten. Thank you for calling." I hung up and sped out of the arena's parking lot towards the high school.

What had he done now? I knew it wasn't easy being a teenager, but he had to stop acting out. I didn't know what to do, nothing I tried would work.

I guess I would have to wait to find out what he had done this time.

"Nathan was caught skipping classes," Principal Evans said, looking at Nathan with distaste. The look made even me uncomfortable as we all sat in her office.

"That's it?" I asked but quickly caught myself. "I mean, of course. I will take whatever action's needed. Thank you, Principal Evans."

I looked at Nathan. He looked bored, maybe even a bit proud of himself and his situation. I couldn't understand why.

"Nathan, can you give us a moment?" The woman asked, and Nathan quietly left the room, closing the door behind him.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Mr. Mitchell... I know you are Nathan's legal guardian, and I know you're trying your best, I can tell. But he needs help. He needs more attention, he needs discipline." Principal Evans started.

I frowned. "What are you saying?"

"You're a professional hockey player, William. Your schedule can't be easy on you or him. Maybe you're not the right person to be taking care of Nathan." She elaborated.

I swallowed hard. "I don't need you to tell me whether I'm enough for my brother or not, Principal Evans. I'm his only option. And he doesn't need you questioning my authority." I stood up. "Have the day you deserve, Principal Evans."

I walked out of the room to find Nathan standing next to the door. He probably heard everything.

"Come on, you're driving," I said, tossing my brother the car keys.