Wattpad Original
Ada 12 bab gratis lagi

Ch. 20: Mortifying

Preston's three brothers are talking loudly about something involving cars, but they go quiet as soon as they step inside the conference room

Three pairs of eyes dart between me and Preston and it's like they know something completely inappropriate took place while they were downstairs.

Easton especially eyes me suspiciously and I'm pretty sure my cheeks are beyond pink, but he doesn't say anything. Out of the corner of my eye, I see the questioning look Andrew gives Preston, but the only response he gets is a shrug of Preston's shoulders.

I hope they don't ask because I don't want to answer any questions. God only knows what just happened. How it happened and how I let it happen.

Ugh.

It's one thing to imagine kissing Preston and a completely different thing actually doing it.

I can't rectify my actions. Not that I'd want to, because that was a damn good kiss. But I can't help but feel guilty. I just kissed my boss, my younger, popular, swoon worthy boss.

I'm a bit mortified at myself. At the same time, I'm fighting to hold back a giggle, thinking about how proud Fiona would be if she knew.

And how disappointed Lydia and Alana would be.

Oh god.

Hayes is the first one to move. He puts a big box of food down on the table, and Easton follows with a smaller one.

I see this as my chance and busy myself with unpacking the food like it's the most important job on earth. I'm delighted when I realize there are no plates and take the opportunity to escape into the kitchen to get some. And a couple of minutes to breathe.

I take longer than necessary to get the plates, enjoying the solitude of the kitchen. I wipe my hands over my dress, smooth my hair back and take a few deep and raggedy breaths until I have both my breathing and my heart-rate at more acceptable speeds.

The talking stops again as I re-enter the room. The silence is uncomfortable. I plaster a smile on my face and hand out the plates while keeping my back towards Preston for as long as I can. There's an amused glint in his eyes when I finally do face him.

"Thanks," he says and I'm pretty sure my stupid face blushes.

The brothers are quick to grab food out of the food containers. Andrew's phone rings and he answers it with a surprised expression.

"So, what have you found so far?" Hayes asks while Andrew gives instructions to someone over the phone on where to leave a package for him.

"There are discrepancies in the electrical records," Easton comments as he sits down at the table.

"Tile setters too," Hayes adds, pulls out the chair next to Easton, and sits down.

Andrew puts his phone away and reaches for the food.