Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Ch. 22: Uncomfortable

Something is going on with Preston

Something is going on with Preston. I can tell even though I've been doing my best to avoid him since the weekend. And that shit has not been easy since he has to walk past my desk every time he leaves his office.

He looks just as good as ever, as enticing as always, but he seems down. Sad almost.

I hate not being able to comfort him. Or at least offer to be there for him, so he can take his mind off whatever it is that's bothering him. But keeping my distance is for the best.

That's what I keep telling myself.

I had a long talk with Fiona once I got back home Saturday night and while she was super excited about the kiss—to the point where she did a little jig—she understood my hesitation and agreed I had a right to be concerned. Hence the businesslike, or standoffish, position I've taken towards him ever since.

Staying away from him has, however, not stopped me from using the purple vibrator like it's going out of style, while imagining it is Preston with me.

Picturing his toned, naked body moving above me. Flexing muscles, eyes smoldering, and that arrogant smirk has me detonating several times a night. My lady bits are sore and the purple thing needs new batteries. But I am at least a bit more relaxed.

With the help of some new batteries, I'm pretty sure I can continue to stay that away from Preston, and keep our relationship strictly professional. That's as long as he doesn't turn those darkening blue eyes on me. Because they're my downfall.

I mean, it's not like I was planning on marrying the guy. He's my boss; a young, immature, playboy bachelor. But I would've gladly taken him for a test ride or two, until I heard the story about the marketing manager, that is.

I can't afford to lose a job over a hookup, no matter how spectacular. And I'm pretty convinced Preston would be spectacular.

I like this job, especially since I've gotten to be a part of the Marramount investigation, and it pays well. For the first time in years, I'm back on my feet and fully able to support myself and my kids. I've even managed to save a little bit, and that's a huge accomplishment for me. I'm not willing to risk all that.

I can't risk all that.

Or so I tell myself.

The door to Preston's office is closed. It's been that way for most of the week. He's had non stop meetings and is scheduled for more this afternoon. Andrew is currently there with him.

I know there's a lot on Preston's plate. He looked tired when he went to the kitchen earlier for another cup of coffee. I just don't know if it's all because of the Marramount situation.

I ask Alana about Andrew's lunch plans and she tells me he has none. Preston doesn't either, so I take the liberty to order both of them lunch. It will be one less thing for them to worry about and it makes me feel better for keeping my distance.