Chapter Thirty-One

Brea

Since returning from the city, I have been floating on Cloud Nine. Considering I expected the wedding to be a night that would plague my nightmares, I'm thrilled that being with Zander made it so much more of a fun experience.

The trip away provided the much-needed closure I was feeling. I can safely say I have closed the lid on that part of my life, and am prepared to move on now, no regrets or lingering feelings that need to be dealt with.

The part of my life is done with. Onto the next chapter.

Walking inside the restaurant, I wave at the staff, making a beeline for the bar. I order a jug of beer and take it and two glasses with me out the back. Nathan is sitting at his desk, typing away on his computer. I place it down on the table off to the side and pour us a drink. I place it down on his coaster, and sit down, taking a long, hearty sip, feeling the need for liquid courage to handle the conversation I am about to partake in.

"Howdy," he says, not even glancing up. A five-o'clock shadow is creeping across his jawline, and he looks tired. He always looks tired. "You're back."

"I am."

"How was it?" he asks, leaning back, and swivelling to face me. He  does a double-take, his jaw dropping as he gapes at me. "Woah."

"I needed a change."

"I see," he says, eyes wide. "I like it. You look nothing like her anymore."

"Kind of the whole point."

He nods in approval, strands of his messy hair falling across his forehead. "I get that. Especially being back here."

"Yeah. I feel better."

"Good." He says, looking uncomfortable, like he always does when the topic of mum is brought up. "So? How was it?"

"Interesting," I answer after mulling over his question for a few moments. "But I'm glad I went. I feel better about leaving all of that behind me."

"Good for you," he replies, with a small smile. "So does that mean you're here full-time now?"

I nod. "I still have a few things to sort out with my apartment, but yes. Consider me the newest addition to Glendale."

"Happy to have you back," Nathan says, and he truly sounds like he means it. We have a long way to go mending our relationship, but I'm looking forward to it. I want to get to know him again.

Leaning forward, we clink our glasses together. We don't make eye contact as we finish our drinks and pour another. The alcohol slides down my throat a little too well, and I'm craving the crisp coolness as I drink the next glass a little too quickly. The dry heat out here makes me thirstier than I've ever felt, although I'm aware I should be drinking water instead.

Silence stretches between us, and I drum my fingers on my knees, looking around his office. I wish there wasn't so much tension between us. Too much time has passed, too many secrets, too many lies. Far too much distance. It's scary to think we will never be close like we once were. Despite how much we fought, we were two peas in a pod. Now, it just seems to be the latter. He raises a brow.

"You have that look on your face," he comments.

"What look?"

"The one where you have something to tell me, and you don't think I'm going to like what you have to say."

"I didn't realise I had that look."

"You do." He says. "Well? What is it?"

"Before the wedding, I visited Joelle, a friend of mums. She phoned me a few weeks ago to let me know she found a box of her things and wanted me to have it."

"What has this got to do with me?" Nathan asks, threading his fingers together, leaning back on his office chair. His jaw is tense. "Hardly knew the woman."

"There were letters. From dad." I say cautiously, rolling my lips inward. "I know why she left."

Nathan is still, barely blinking as he stares at me. A muscle in his cheek spasms. A long beat of silence stretches between us, and then my stomach tightens, as realisation dawns on me.

"Oh," I say softly. "You know." I release a half-exhale, half-laugh. "Of course you know. You know everything. You choose to let me know things when it is convenient for you."

Nathan winces, but doesn't exactly deny it. "It's not like that."

"It is." I get to my feet and drain the rest of the beer.

Storming out the door with tears blossoming in my eyes, I rush outside and stumble into my car. I barely look out my windows as I tear out of the carpark, needing to get to Zander.

He will know what to say. How to make me feel better.

I rub my eyes as I pull out onto the main road. I swerve last minute in attempt to miss a massive pothole in the road, and careen straight into it. My phone falls from the dashboard, skittering across the floor.

Sniffling, I lean over, reaching for it. When I sit back up, I see the car, and it's too late to stop. I smash into the side of it, my car skidding across the road, spinning. My head slams into the glass, and it shatters around me, cutting into my skin like a thousand, tiny razorblades.

A flash of blonde hair makes my head snape up. I look over to the other car, recognising a pale, innocent face staring back at me.

I'd recognise that face anywhere.