Chapter 14

“Why is there ever this
perverse cruelty in
humankind, that makes us
hurt most those we love
best?”
― Jacqueline Carey , Kushiel's Chosen

EVERETT P.O.V

I ran deeper into the woods so that just for a few hours I would not think about what a big jerk I had been to Templar once.

The look in her face said it all. As that image popped in my head I came into an abrupt halt and gave a loud howl. I ran further deep into the woods to calm myself.

My wolf didn’t want this run, he wanted to be with his mate which is what I wanted but I also needed time to think. To think of different ways to rectify everything I had done with her in the past.

When I realized I was far away from everyone I stopped and howled again.

I lounged on the ground to stop panting.

I was shocked as well as impressed when Keith told me that she is their pack Beta, she inflicts power stronger than any she-wolf I had ever known.

She just stands out among those wolves. There is something about her which I can’t figure.

My mate. My Templar.

I didn’t know what had happened to her in the last six years. After years of trying, we almost thought she was dead but still kept on looking for her. Her sudden arrival as a strong wolf was a shock.

I wanted to ask her everything but she was constantly avoiding my gaze and when I tried to approach her Keith had the audacity to stop me. It took everything in me to stop my wolf from tearing him.

I was one step away from shifting into my wolf. The thoughts running in the heads of my pack members especially males were all audible in my head.

I wanted to kill them all for having filthy thoughts about my mate.

I was mad at Templar when she refused to join my pack, but after what she said I knew I deserved it. Even then I wanted to convince her to join my pack.

That is why I took the first opportunity I got and held her in my arms. Her scent overwhelmed me. I couldn’t describe what I was feeling when I held her in my arms.

I wanted to take her then and there.

I felt myself getting stronger when she was with me. Touching her soft skin and kissing it was too much to take. Her soft groans made me lose any self-control I had.

I wanted to mark her very badly when she started leaning into me. My heart was pounding against me and I felt my canines starting to come out to make her mine.

I would have marked Templar, if she wouldn’t have shoved me.

The thought of her being away from my arms was not something which I liked. I wanted her close to me, to be able to hold her and feel her.

When I tried to hold her again she pushed me and that wasn’t appreciated by my wolf and me. A repeat of that just ignited the anger.

In a swift movement I had held her and pressed against a wall. She was avoiding my gaze as if looking at me would be a mistake.

But when she raised those dark lashes and looked at me, what I saw was like a dagger to my heart.

Her dark brown eyes were watery. Tears were flowing from her eyes and each drop of those tears reminded me how much I had hurt her.

I recalled her looking at me like that with those same watery eyes and wet cheeks whenever I would hurt her.

She used to look at me like that silently asking me why, whenever I would throw a ball at her or whenever i would make her trip and fall or whenever I  would lock her in a dark room or when i threw eggs on her or when i almost killed her by throwing her in a pool.