Writer's Reveal [FREE]: What's in a Rock? The Geology Behind the Names

"What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."

—Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare

This is perhaps one of the most famous quotes from Shakespeare, which symbolizes the power, or lack thereof, in a name. Juliet says this as she explains Romeo would still be the same person even if he had another name.

~*~

Did y'all ever wonder how I came up with all the character names? Like many authors, I wanted to root the names with something meaningful. I went as far as to crack open my university Geology textbook I never sold back to the college bookstore (might as well learn something even if I'm graduated), and I'm excited to present a bit of worldbuilding and how/why I gave each character their name.

Not all characters followed this format, in which I sought names from Greek mythology or ones that were unique per the Dystopian media format. For the record, I dislike Greek mythology due to problematic themes and the fact school curriculums beat this subject matter to death. That said, it's accessible as some of the most widely recognized literature in the world.

Without further ado, I present to you each character (or related subject matter) with a brief description and/or explanation of why I selected these designations. Also, you'll see a mini bio (containing major spoilers in case you're one of those people (coughs — totally not calling myself out here) who likes to peek ahead for spoilers (which I actually try not to do on Wattpad. I just like the lore).

~*~

📜The Factions📜

⚖️Enforcers

🧮Engineers

⚒️Maintenance

🩺🧪Medical/Science

🌱Quartermasters

💎The Founding Families💎

💎Calvorite:

⚖️🌱Kanden — This is an invented name. Back when I'd been planning a Steampunk/Sci-fi story spanning multiple worlds, I considered the last name Tallen, with Kanden being born into wealth and comfort, but hidden away because of his perceived disabilities. I didn't settle on Kanden until the start of the Undergrounders, but I like the way he immediately distinguishes himself among others in a genre with unusual names.

He is mid-to-high functioning autistic (see Exclusive Reveal on Neurodivergence for further reading). Over time, he learns to manage some of his symptoms but autism spectrum disorder isn't something that can be cured. Throughout the story, he learns that he is enough as who he is.

Throughout the story, he is pressured by those around him (his father and the Council) to produce an heir. Even though he is gay, he could find a surrogate or use artificial insemination. Unlike his father, Kanden would not be forced into an arranged marriage, leaving him free to choose a relationship with someone of his choice. However, he doesn't wasn't produce a child for the sake of lineage, and he is afraid any child biologically his will suffer his condition and at the hands of others. He is terrified of being a father because he isn't sure he can do it effectively.

Kanden is 19 years old at start of story. He turns 20 in the second arc during his training. He has been with Ryker for three years and briefly ends their relationship before reconciling.

His best friends are Zephyr, Giada, and Marina. His mentor and good friend he comes to respect is Rhonin, and Kanden eventually learns to communicate and attempt to reconcile with his father after a lifetime of a strained relationship.