35.1

Giada's parents were as nice as she'd claimed. Enzo and Quorra had been welcoming, quickly masking their surprise when their daughter dragged Kanden inside their home. Wasting no time, they ushered him inside and sat him at a sturdy copper-toned table while speaking rapidly between English and something else he couldn't identify.

Before he understood what was happening, he'd been sent to wash up in a shared bathroom between this unit and another, separated by a locked door on the other side. Two shower stalls stood on each side of a partition as well as toilets and wash basins. Where the space lacked décor, it made up for in cleanliness.

When he dried his hands and came out, he noticed Giada had changed into a gray tunic over a pair of leggings in a slightly darker shade. Her wild hair bounced over her shoulders in a dance of orange and red flames, giving her an otherworldly appearance of an ancient goddess.

Rich aromas of herbs and grains saturated the air, making Kanden's mouth water as Quorra shoved him into a chair and piled salad and a serving of seasoned grains on his and Giada's plates.

After so many ups and downs that day, food had been the last thing on his mind. His empty stomach rumbled loud enough to wake the dead as he stared at the surprisingly hearty meal. The portions were larger than those seen among the lower class and slightly smaller than the rations his elite station afforded, consisting of lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and other scarce food items. This family was better off than most, making Kanden wonder how many others went hungry so the higher tiers could eat this well.

A glance around the room confirmed their status: metal gears made from various alloys decorated the walls to form a pleasing aesthetic, though Kanden found comfort in the shabby sofa with long-faded fabric that had been patched in at least two spots.

He didn't know many middle-class families and had often wondered how they lived. The founding families tended to enjoy relative luxuries with their larger units, and Kanden was suddenly grateful his parents had opted for a less opulent lifestyle. Any items from the Overland were scattered throughout the Underground, likely acquired and hoarded by a select few families.

Quorra and Enzo took their seats across from Kanden and Giada, folding their hands and bowing their heads.

When Kanden cast an uncertain glance to his friend, Giada leaned close and whispered, "Just go with it. I'll explain later."

Following their lead, Kanden peeked through his lashes as Enzo recited a brief prayer, thanking the Lord in a place called Heaven for the food and their blessings. Kanden wasn't versed in spirituality, but the invocation was earnest and sincere, ending with a reverent amen.

Once the family lifted their dented forks, Kanden took a tentative bite and closed his eyes with a soft moan. This family made herbs go a long way.

"I've mished this," Giada mumbled around a mouthful of food.

"Gia, chew your food and swallow before you speak," Quorra chastised in a sharp tone. "It's no wonder you can't find a man. No one wants to marry a slob."

Kanden almost choked while Giada rolled her eyes, shameless and unfazed. He would have been mortified if Father suggested the topic or bluntly singled him out like that.

"He'sh gay," she retorted through the same bite, "I don't need to impresh him."

Kanden nudged her leg with his and playfully wrinkled his nose. He'd have stuck out his tongue if they'd been in the dorms, but he didn't know Giada's family, and he wanted to make a passable first impression.

With a deep frown lining her thin mouth, Quorra didn't appear amused by her daughter's antics. She muttered something in her native language and shook her head. "I don't know why the good Lord gave me such a feral child. You can't just go calling people out like that. It's rude."