02. pride and prejudice

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter two: pride and prejudice

[a/n: if you already read the original chapter one, you can skip this if you want because i just split it in half and transferred it to this chapter. sorry, it was over 4000 words.]

tw(s): poor leslie, honestly. i am just going to warn you here that her being extremely insecure about her social status is going to be consistent throughout this story, so basically just assume it is going to be in every chapter; this means i am not going to make warnings about it in individual chapters anymore.
━━━

★ ━━━ "THIS IS LOUISE, Phoebe, and Marcia," Leslie introduces, gesturing to each one of her friends.

Marcia looks up at the Ducks with an amused look, an almost tickled expression. Her hair is in a tastefully styled blowout, and her dark eyebrows are brushed upwards to form an arch, but she doesn't look intimidating in the slightest.

Phoebe looks brooding, and she mostly chews silently and buries her nose in a well-maintained copy of Pride and Prejudice. Her hair is jet black and brushed back to reveal a heart-shaped hairline. She has naturally soft and kind features, so it seems as if she is trying to look moody.

Louise eyes each one of them, twirling a strand of shoulder-length blonde hair around her pinkie finger. She winks at Kenny, who turns bright red immediately and scratches the back of his neck.

"Are you a cheerleader?" Les asks, noticing the pleated white skirts with red trim and turtlenecks that Louise and Marcia are wearing.

"No, I've still got some of my dignity," Leslie answers, receiving a light punch on the arm from Marcia, who feigns a wounded look.

"Where'd the rest of your dignity go, Leslie?" Les asks, stealing a baby carrot from her tray. He snaps the already small vegetable, eating one half of it before Leslie snatches it back.

"Out the window when I found out I was related to you," Leslie shoots back, spearing a head of broccoli with her fork.

"She's got you there, Averman," the boy named Russ says, opening a brown paper bag.

"So, show us the ropes of Eden Hall. How does stuff around here work?" Charlie asks, crossing his arms and leaning in.

"Well, the kids here are kind of awful. I'm lucky I found this group. But the academics are great," Leslie says. I'm lucky I found friends who don't look at me like I'm a martian.

The Ducks groan as soon as she says academics.

"Oh, you're going to have to be serious sooner or later. I heard you've got to maintain a C average to be eligible for hockey," Phoebe says, peeking out from behind her book.

"Leslie, what exactly did you mean when you said the kids here are awful?" a blonde girl asks with a concerned face. Leslie recalls her name being Julie.

"Um, do you know Biff from Back to the Future?" Leslie asks, folding her hands.

"Sure I do," Connie says, nodding.