06. goldilocks and golden boy

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter six: goldilocks and golden boy

tw(s): tense family dynamic, classism from leslie's dad, underage drinking
━━━

★ ━━━ "THIS IS YOUR house?" Charlie asks, baffled. The Ducks stand in front of the limo with their heads tilted up high, taking in the full view of the Averman-Oakes Minnesota property. 

The front is closed off with a tall wall of red brick, with a sleek black gate in the center. Beyond the gate, there is a large, winding driveway with a well-tended rose garden and courtyard on either side. The house is that of a fairytale, with carved corridors and full turrets dedicated to spiraling staircases. Long, intricate pillars support balconies with valuable statues and plant boxes. The side of the house displays a beautiful infinity pool, with poolside chairs, tables, and umbrella that are barely visible from the distance.

"Um, actually, I live in LA, this is just my dad's..." Leslie trails off.

"Yeah, don't tell us that," Russ says, still looking in awe at the home in front of his eyes.

Les grins at her in her peripheral vision. She scans his eyes. Zero resentment. She smiles back at him.

"Well," Leslie says, punching in a series of numbers into the keypad lock. "This is where the function's going to be. We got here early, so feel free to explore, do whatever you want. I can't thank you enough for coming."

"No, thank you," Fulton counters. "Expensive booze, getting hammered..."

Leslie starts to panic as it dawns on her that she just invited a bunch of teenage boys into an esteemed estate."No. No one's getting hammered, or screwed, or any sort of action pertaining to a toolbox on these premises. Is that clear? Please say it's clear. The rugs, the marble, the statues, oh, God, don't touch the vases, most of them were sent from Greece."

"Hey, relax," Goldberg says, putting a hand on her shoulder. "Nobody cares about your rich girl crap. It's just...do you have an Atari?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Cool, then you'll find me, all night, unscrewed, unhammered, in wherever your Atari game room is," Goldberg informs, adjusting the cuffs of his suit.

"That would be the case, Atari game room or not," Guy mutters under his breath, catching the attention of Leslie, who glares sharply at him.

"I don't have one," Leslie says apologetically, returning her attention to Goldberg.

Charlie snorts. "I find that very hard to believe. A house like that? What do you have instead of an Atari game room? A yoga studio?"

"Well, yeah, I've got one if you're interested."

"You've gotta be kidding me," Charlie says, shaking his head.

★ ━━━ "OKAY, SO IS it just me, or is there some weird tension with you and Banksie?" Connie asks tentatively, stroking a black mascara wand through her eyelashes, concentrating on the pocket mirror in front of her.