Chapter Five ~ The Slytherin's

(Image by @likeprongstostars on ig)

Regulus Black: Thursday 4th September 1975

Regulus wasn't used to being watched so much. Not in a way that wasn't full of fear anyway. He had been stared at by scared hogwarts students for years as the war grew more evident. Anyways, he was being watched. And followed. By James Potter. Regulus knew he had brought it upon himself as he asked the boy to witness his suicide. He would've asked Sirius except Sirius wouldn't have stopped him. He needed someone to give him a reason to not do it and James Potter delivered. Regulus tried not to think much of it. of course James Potter wouldn't let him. He was too noble for that. Hell knows he wouldn't even let Severus Snape commit suicide. But then James Potter had said he wanted to get to know Regulus and that... well that was something else. Regulus had tried not to think about it but it was proving to be quite difficult. The boy was everywhere. There was no faulting potter, he was an incredibly good stalker but it was a skill that regulus hoped James would use rather on someone like Lily Evans.

"Regulus! Regulus wake up!". Regulus looks up to see Pandora, Dorcas, Evan and Barty looking at him worriedly.

"what?" he snapped, rather rudely. it wasn't them he was angry with after all.

"you're in your head, mate. are you alright?" asked Evan.

Regulus smiled at his friends and nodded.

"so are you coming for Christmas?" asked Pandora, raising an eyebrow. regulus rolled his eyes.

"classes only just started. and no of course not, mother expects me at home this year. as the heir of the Black fortune, I have more important things to think about than where I'm gonna stay in 3 months," said regulus.

Dorcas snorted. "3 and a half," she corrected. this caused laughter to erupt among the friends.

"No but seriously," Regulus said. the first to regain composure. "I'm not coming for Christmas,".

"How do you know your mum will want you there?" Asked Evan. Pandora flicked his ear and he glared at her.

"Evan, you know Regulus has things to do at home, stop bothering him," Pandora, scolded. Evan muttered something under his breath which made barty fall back onto him on the floor. The friends were all sitting on the floor, Evan leaning against the sofa with barty between his legs (head resting against his chest). Pandora was on the coffee table opposite Regulus and Dorcas was sitting in the window. For September, it was strangley lovley weather and most students were outside so the 5 friends were alone in the common room.

"I'm not bothering him, dora, I just- what is that?!". regulus and his friends turn to the window where a beautiful brown bird is perched on the windowsill. regulus rolled his eyes.

"I mean, its not from my parents, I know what much," he muttered.

"it's not from ours, Evan?" asked Pandora. Evan shook his head. Barty didn't try to clarify why it wasn't his. they all knew.

"try checking who its signed by," Dorcas said, lazily.

"right," regulus murmured, standing. he opened the letter.

"oh...".

"what?! reg, who's it from?" asked barty. he didn't move from his place in evans lap so only Dorcas and Pandora came up to see the letter.