chapter 2: Fate of Misfortune

Cling clack.

The sound of the utensils moving and coming in contact with the food and plate sounded throughout the room, with no other sound to be heard.

Reginald had almost finished his meal and was wondering if he should leave. Glancing around at the family's expression as well as the servant's, seeing that all of them had such a stoic expression on their faces made him a little nervous.

He's a little glad that the butler from before is standing behind his seat otherwise, he might be starts a sweating like a bucket.

At that moment, the duke opened his mouth to state his reason for this meal.

"The royal family has ordered me and Fernanda to proceed to lead the army and join the war."

The duke's gaze which were case down to focus on his meal, looked up and glanced at each of everyone his children's face. That's also include Reginald. His eyes seem so cold as if it could penetrates a person's soul.

"So, during this period, you won't be seeing me or Fernanda. You better behave while I'm gone."

"This may be your last time to see your father and I. I hope you won't disappoint us."

Fernanda, the duchess added after the duke has spoken his part.

Basically telling them to behave while they're gone, to stop putting dirt on the family's name.

"Yes, father, mother."

"I won't disappoint you!"

The male teenager spoke along with the girl. The duke nodded his head and added.

"Yes, I'm sure you won't, Lennox. Liliana, I hope you will be more proper when attending public celebration, control your temper. Do not make such a unworthy scene ever again."

The duke responded to the eldest sibling very well but he scolded the younger one with one harsh tone, geez even Reginald is getting a little shivers on his arm.

"I-im sorry, father. It'll never happened again."

Unlike how she was giggling and whispering before, she was apologizing quite timidly. The scene made Reginald a little surprised. But the duke then turned his head and he made eye contact with him.

Looks like it's his turn now. Reginald was feeling a little nervous, the duke seems like a scary man.

"Reginald."

The older man called out his name.

...ah! He's calling me.

For a moment he forgot he's now also the duke's child, so, the response came a beat late.

"...yes, father." He responded, feeling uncomfortable about the eye contact and averted his gaze downward on to his empty plate.

While the family was having the conversation, Reginald had basically cleaned his dishes up. Now, not even a crumbs of food is left to be seen on the plate.

The duke raised his eyebrows and continue to speak what he has to say.

"I don't expect much from you. In the time I'm not here, you should not bring down the family's name even more. I won't be here to clean up after you."

"......yes."

How pitiful.

Reginald thought. It wasn't his faults nor the actual Reginald's.

Reginald glanced at the two teenagers.

The two saints you're proud of is not that angelic.

Tsk.