CHAPTER 25 - A Hurtful Past

[D/N= Dad Name]

FLASHBACK

In a hospital building, there was a well-lit and clean room with the air conditioner keeping it cool. Staff members were busy with their daily tasks, but the atmosphere was peaceful and quiet. A seven-year-old girl named Y/N stood next to her dad, wearing a long-sleeved jumper. She kept her head down, occasionally looking at people walking by.

She noticed other people walking towards the check-in counter in the distance. Nurses and doctors were busy reviewing patient files on computers and chatting with each other. Y/N felt anxious as she and her dad had to wait at a distance from her mother's room, with her hands tightly clenched due to nerves, hoping for an update.

Her face showed signs of distress as a frown appeared. Both of them were anxious, but her dad tried to hide his feelings by smiling softly. He was actually more anxious on the inside, but he put on a brave face for his daughter to reassure her that everything would be okay, or at least that's what he hoped.

A DAY PRIOR

Y/N saw her sick mother lying in the hospital bed. Her mother had no hair and a worried expression on her face, looking pale with a weak smile as Y/N stood beside her. D/N gently held her mother's hand, kissing the knuckles of her wedding ring. Y/N prayed for her mother's recovery, wishing for their family to be happy again. Feeling overwhelmed with emotion, Y/N couldn't help but cry, and her mother weakly reached out to wipe away her tears, trying to reassure her in a hoarse voice.

There... there, my sunshine. Shh, you should already know that I don't like to see you cry, so please don't cry. You have such a beautiful face." Her mother then softly began to gently caress her daughter's cheek. "Don't worry, your momma can handle this. Your mom is strong," she said with a determined smile as she raised both her arms up, trying to showcase her point by flexing her muscles in a goofy manner. "A sickness like this will fly by in no time."

'You keep saying that, yet you're still not getting any better.' Y/N thought as she looked at her mother trying to cheer her up, causing her to sob. "But I can't... I can't stop crying, it hurts... I don't want to see you like this."

Her mother gently squeezed her husband's hand. "I know, sweetie... shh, I know," she whispered. Her vision became blurry as her words struggled to convey her thoughts, but she pushed through.

"You all bring me so much pride and joy, your happiness lights up my own happiness. Please never forget that. Having you in my life is the best thing I never imagined I would have. I still remember the first time I held you in my arms, you were so adorable then..." Her breathing was becoming shallow, and the blurriness continued to affect her vision. "If anything...I would... like to relieve that moment."

The girl's eyes welled up with tears when she saw the pain in her mother's eyes. She could sense that her mother wanted to say more, but the symptoms she was experiencing were taking a toll on her. Slowly, her mother closed her eyes, and as her vision faded into darkness, she smiled at the thought of seeing two precious people before falling asleep. The two witnessing the scene grew concerned and called for help. Fortunately, it turned out that her mother was just showing signs of tiredness, which made them breathe a sigh of relief.

While her dad talked to the nurse, Y/N looked at her sleeping mother with a small frown of worry on her face. 'Mom... I just hope you'll be okay...'

Children's imaginations can soar with fantasy, as they hope for everything to turn out perfectly. Without the happiness of family, their world would be incomplete. However, not every story has a happy ending, and things don't always go as expected.