lightning doesn't strike twice - andrei vasilevskiy

WC: 2488
Song associated with this story: "I Wanna Be Yours" by Arctic Monkeys

As the clock was ticking down on the third period between the Los Angeles Kings and the Tampa Bay Lightning, my heart was pounding against my chest so loudly and hard that it could break through my chest in any close moment.

The Lightning were leading the Kings 4-0, a shutout in the light for Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy within the last minute of the last period of scheduled regulation.

"One minute remaining in the period!" the Lightning PA announcer said over the system as the Lightning were trying to regain possession of the puck along the neutral zone boards by both benches.

The Kings were able to get the puck out of the boards and began their rush towards the net. Not like they can score four goals in less than a minute, but they want to do anything and everything in their power to cut the potential shutout by Vasilevskiy.

Seconds wound down in the period, and as the Lightning had control of the puck for the last ten seconds, they held onto it, then the horn went off throughout the arena.

The crowd cheered loudly as we all celebrated Andrei's shutout against the Kings, and obviously for the Lightning win.

Since I was seated in the lower bowl and up close to the glass, I had a perfect view of the team hugging Andrei and congratulating him on the amazing feat.

After hugging his teammates, Andrei skated in my direction and took his helmet off, revealing his sweaty, long, blond hair. His blue eyes sparkled as sweat ran down his face, complimented by a perfect smile.

"Congratulations," I told him, a smile reflecting that of his on my face.

He chuckled, stuffing his white and blue goalie stick underneath his armpit. "Thanks, Julia. I couldn't have done this without you being here to support me," he said in his very distinct Russian accent, what was something that I loved about my awesome Russian friend that I met through another mutual friend, who was the girlfriend to Mikhail Sergachev.

He glanced up at the large Jumbotron above the ice, then back at me. "I should get going," he told me with a smile.

I nodded my head, of course understanding why he needed to go. His teammates were all filing into the locker room already, and it wasn't like I was going to see Andrei ever again. I was going home with him, which would be the first time I would get to see where he resided in Tampa.

"Okay, do svidaniya," I chuckled as I waved goodbye to him.

He gleamed again, and as he skated away to catch up with his teammates, he waved back to me.

-

After piling into Andrei's car, which was a blue Corvette that reminded me of the Lightning's blue in their team colors.

"Your car is nice," I complimented as he stuck the keys into the ignition and fired up the engine, a melody to my ears after the loud atmosphere that Amalie brought.

He chuckled. He wore a blue Lightning sweatshirt with his number on the upper left of his chest and some black joggers with slides. He didn't care to get back into his suit he came to the game in, especially after all of the sweat he endured during the fantastic game he shut the door on against the Kings.

"Thanks, I try to keep it clean since I got it for...well, a lot," he chuckled again, then began to back out of the parking spot and headed to the exit of the parking ramp.

I smiled as I glanced at him when he was turning right onto the one-way Channelside Street. "I understand," I responded, lifting my legs to put my calves on the glove compartment and let my calves and feet dangle.