the feeling in your gut - jakub lauko

WC: 2896

"Yeah, so I'm like, 'What the hell,' you know? Guy just cross-checks me like he owns the damn place," Jakub said as he started cutting up his steak tenderloin thing on his plate.

Since the Boston Bruins had won a crucial game against Atlantic Division rival, the Toronto Maple Leafs, in a nail-biting overtime period, the team decided to go out and celebrate at a new, local restaurant that was located not far from TD Garden.

A lot of the Bruins players had brought their wives along for the dinner, but Jakub, who I've known since he came over to the States from the Czech Republic, brought me with even though we weren't a thing. Just some best friends who liked to get themselves into some shit once in a while.

However, sometimes you can't avoid being hit by the bus that brings you feelings towards the person you're supposed to be best friends with.

I've had "other" feelings for Jakub ever since he took me back to his home country during the NHL off-season. One time, we were out visiting the majestic city of Prague before we sat on a bench eating some yummy European gelato and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He wore slick, shiny black sunglasses that day to compliment his fluffy, chocolate brown hair that was just too cute to glance away from. I remembered the smallest details from something so big at the time.

Another instance when we were in the Czech Republic was when we were in another city (I couldn't remember the name of it), Jakub had brought me into a tight hug to comfort me from having some random anxiety attack, like what best friends are supposed to do. But unfortunately, that wasn't the case for me.

I chuckled, taking a bite out of my chicken and shrimp cheesy alfredo. "That's why you've gotta defend your home ice," I told him, pointing my fork at him across the small table. "The boys play Thursday night, right? Against the Panthers?" I asked.

Jakub nodded his head. "Yeah, and rumor has it that Monty might bring me up to the second line to try something out," he responded, then took a sip out of the straw for his sparkling pink lemonade that looked delicious.

I also nodded my head, glancing around at the other Bruins players that had their significant others at their designated tables, or the single ones like Jake DeBrusk and Kevin Shattenkirk sitting at a table together. Jakub was the only player on the Bruins roster who had a girl best friend that weren't in an explicit relationship, both figuratively and in reality.

I've tried my absolute best to flirt with Jakub that hopefully he'd confiscate the message about my growing feelings for him, other than being just his best friend. However, I don't think Jakub realizes that I'm flirting with him, because he's always been like that ever since that first day we met on the ice at a hockey game.

Jakub

"Nice shot, Lauks!" exclaimed my fellow Czech comrade David Pastrňák as I banked in a shot above goaltender Linus Ullmark's top left shoulder.

I chuckled, skating around the net as that's where my momentum was taking me after the nice shot I banked by Linus.

"Thanks," I said, standing next to David as Milan took a shot towards Linus, but he kicked the puck away with his right pad.

I glanced over at Milan, who had a defeated look on his face.

"Hey, it's okay, you'll get the next one," I assured him as he skated by me and Pasta.

He awkwardly smiled. He was always a bit shy, although he's gotten a better as practices went on since training camp. In the locker room, he's a whole 'nother story.

Coach Jim Montgomery skated towards center ice, meaning that we were just wrapping up practice, something I was looking forward to since I got to this damn practice facility.