My neighbor

It was a cold autumn day, when I heard about my neighbor's passing. I was very shocked of course, she has always been very kind to me. Ever since I started living here she was one of the only people that would come to visit me to see how I was doing.

She was an older lady so she always had many stories to tell and I was always happy with her visits.

We would also often eat together or play board games together, she also seemed quite lonely often.

But then, last week she was found dead inside her home. The whole thing is still being investigated and one thing is certain: It was not a natural death.

After talking with the police many times I found out that she had always been more alone than I initially thought: No living relatives, no friends, only me.

There wasn't even anyone in the street who cared for her or talked with her other than me.

I look outside my window where I find solace in the red leaves falling one by one, slowly, as to grieve with me.

As her only friend, it is my job now to arrange her funeral.

I tap with my pen against the pile of paper, unable to read another page.

As I look around the room I notice a dark stain on the wall. I am not sure what it is, but I should get someone to check it out. I wouldn't want it to be mold.

It looks a bit wettish, so it must have been going on recently. It looks a bit creepy and it worries me a bit.

On the other side of the wall is my late neighbor's home.

Frustrated by my lack of concentration I decide to go downstairs for a coffee break.

I pour myself some coffee, but as my train of thought travels further away, the coffee is cold when it touches my lips.

"Remember, I am doing this for her..." I whisper to myself, trying to get myself to work again.

Quickly I wipe away my cold tears, even though I know there is no one to see me.

As I go back upstairs, it has started to get dark outside. When I open the door to my study room, I immediately notice a weird smell.

It seems to be coming from the stain. Gross!

But the smell isn't the only new thing, the stain seems to have gotten bigger too. Does mold spread so fast?

Suddenly the door closes behind me with a loud bang, startling me and making me jump back.

Quickly I go to open the door... but it won't open.

Strange, it doesn't even have a lock...

After a few minutes of panicking and trying to get the door open I hear a whisper.

It's coming from behind me.

From the stain?

Or is it just a hallucination?

It must be, I am the only one here after all.

I decide to continue my work, a friend of mine will visit tomorrow anyway, maybe she can help me get the door open or get me a ladder.

I turn on the lights, they seem to work thank god.

After about an hour, I hear it again, the whisper.

Someone is whispering my name.

My blood turns to ice and I turn around.

No one...

Only the stain that has gotten bigger again.

"Vera"

I stand up from my chair and take a step towards the stain.

"Y-Yes..."

The silence feels heavy.

Cold sweat trickles from my forehead and my hands are shaking.

Something is coming out of the stain.

Fingers?

Without thinking I run to the window, but it seems to be sealed shut too.

I take the chair and start trying to smash it.

"Vera"

It has gotten louder.

A whole arm is sticking out of the stain, swinging wildly.

CRASHHH!!!

As I finally shatter the glass I let out a gasp.

Bricks.

No open window, just bricks.

The sound of goo makes me turn around quickly.

More arms.

Like four, five, six, seven...

"VERAVERA!"

Some of the arms are trying to get closer to me, trying to get me in their cold slimy embrace.

Their whispers have turned into angry screams, chanting my name louder and louder.

"VERAVERAVERAVERAVERAVERA!!!"

Dodging the arms I try the door again, I throw my chair against it, but nothing seems to work.

"LET ME GO!!" I scream as I can feel the arms grab my legs, making me fall face first on the floor.

I fight, I fight as hard as I can, but then as to add insult to injury, the lights go out.

Hopelessly I scream.

What the hell is going on?!

And why does it sound like her?!