Chapter 2: Marichat (Fluff)

Adrien's POV:

I went up to my room the moment I got home, still feeling worried about Marinette. She had seemed so shaken up after Chloé tried to make fun of her. 

 I wish Chloé got along better with the rest of my friends. Maybe I could make it up to Marinette somehow? I could bring her a small gift or something at school next time, or maybe I could hang out with her again. No, I had to do something now, I felt so bad after what happened.

I hugged her before I left because I thought she might have needed it. I wanted to stay with her, I really did, but I knew father would kill me if I were home late. I locked my bedroom door so that he couldn't come in, then escaped out the window with the help of Plagg. Adrien was asleep as far as anyone knew, but Cat Noir was out to save the day. At least, for one person.

***

*tap, tap, tap*

I knocked on Marinette's window, just then realizing that it was late and she could have been asleep. Luckily, she appeared in front of the window. She was in her pajamas and had her hair down, I couldn't help smiling slightly, she looked kind of cute. At least she did until I saw the look on her face, my awe faded instantly.

Marinette opened her window, "What the hell are you doing here?!" she asked, sounding irritated. Not the reaction I was expecting. I was almost offended. Most people would be excited to see a famous superhero on their balcony, thank you very much.

"I thought you might be in need of help," I tried to smirk, she wasn't amused. "I heard your day wasn't perfect," I continued, "So I thought you may want someone to talk to."

Marinette looked shocked before groaning and hiding her face in her hands, "YOU heard about what happened!?" she complained, "How did it get around town so quickly!?"

"No, I didn't get around town!" I tried to console her, "I just...I happened to be on patrol in the park when I saw that girl being mean to you." I made up a story to calm her down, "I worried the encounter might have gotten you akumatized...Or at least left you feeling down."

"I'm fine," she abruptly slammed the window shut.

*tap, tap, tap*

Marinette opened the window again, "What!?" she growled, getting fed up.

"You closed the window on my tail," I said, awkwardly.

"Cat Noir," she face-palmed, "Shouldn't you be somewhere with Ladybug, or whatever?" Ladybug. I had forgotten about her. She probably wouldn't be happy with me ignoring all of Paris at night to focus on one person who had a bad day. But Marinette was my friend and clearly upset, I had to do something.

"Don't worry about that," I said, shaking my head, "Can I come in?" She raised an eyebrow, skeptical. "I just wanna talk."

She stepped away from the window, I took that as the go-ahead to step in. I jumped down from the window into her room. Her room was small but well-organized. I noticed a few pictures on the wall from my photo shoots, which I thought was strange at first, but she probably had plenty of pictures of her friends so I didn't think too much of it. She stood with her arms crossed, facing away from me.

"So that girl," I began.

"She's a bitch," Marinette said bluntly. It surprised me, I had never heard her use language like that before. "She does stuff like that all the time."

"Yeah, I've seen Chloé around town before," I rubbed the back of my neck, "I'm sorry she was so rude."

"It doesn't matter," Marinette sighed, "At least, not to you."

"Then who does it matter to?" I asked, curious.

Marinette turned to me slightly, a frown on her face, "Nobody you would know," she said quietly. She looked like she wanted to cry, I almost panicked trying to stop her.

"H-hey, it's alright," I stepped forward to comfort her, but she pulled away. She didn't want me touching her, "I'm sorry. I just...Do you want to tell me about this person?" She looked at me confused by the question. "Whoever it was this mattered to?"

Marinette thought about it for a moment, but was comfortable enough to sit down on her bed to talk, "I got embarrassed in front of this guy," she whined, "Someone I'm really close to." I wanted to ask questions but thought I should let her continue. "It's this guy I have a crush on, and I had finally gotten a chance to talk to him, but Chloé ruined it."

A guy she had a crush on? Who else was there? I didn't really pay attention to anyone else at the park today, but I guess the Chloé situation distracted me from the people around us. "Can I ask who it was?"

Marinette shook her head, "I don't want anyone to know," she looked away from me again.

"I won't tell," I assured her, "I promise."

She glared at me, the look in her eyes almost reminded me of Ladybug. The serious/annoyed gaze always made me freeze. "If I tell you," she said, "With my luck, it's gonna be someone you know."

"What are the odds of that?" I reasoned.

"You'll know him," she looked down at the floor, "Everyone in Paris knows who he is."

I don't know why I was so interested in Marinette's crush. Maybe I felt a little protective of her. She was such a great friend, I didn't want to see her get her feelings hurt. Marinette was so kind and smart, she deserved someone who would be good to her.

Suddenly, Marinette gasped, "Today is Friday, isn't it?" I wasn't sure why that was important now. "Oh no," she stood up, "You have to go!"

Was she throwing me out? "I'm sorry, did I say something-?"

"No!" she shouted, pushing me back towards the window, "I just remembered I have to go see someone!"

"Right now?" I asked, confused. It was so late, who could she have a meeting with at this hour?

"Yes right now!" Marinette urgently pushed me to get going. I climbed back out the window, unsure if I had helped at all that night. "Cat Noir," she called from her room. I looked back at her. She paused before saying, "Thanks."

I smiled as she closed the window and ran off. I had made her feel better, and I was proud of that. I felt like I had been a good friend, like I had done good for someone.

Wait. Friday. Oh no, I had to get home! Ladybug would be waiting for me.