Awareness! Pls take a moment to read.

Depression is a serious problem among teens and adolescents. It can easily be overlooked and dismissed, but it can be life-threatening if severe enough.

2014 statistics from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) show the following numbers for teens that had at least one major depressive episode in the previous 12 months:

17.3% of adolescents that had a major depressive episode in 2014 were female. 5.7% of adolescents that had a major depressive episode in 2014 were male. 5.7% were 12 years old. 8.7% were 13 years old. 10.7% were 14 years old. 13.0% were 15 years old. 14.1% were 16 years old. 15.1% were 17 years old.

These are just stats from 2014 and they have probably gotten worse over time. Any teen, tween, or adult can have depression regardless of their race, gender, background, or some other factor. Since females are typically more dependent on their social life, they can be more likely to develop depression. Something simple like losing friends could be a trigger. Males aren't as encouraged by society to express their emotions, so they are likely to develop depression from feeling like they can't open up and talk about their problems.

Other risks that could cause depression are:

Experiencing trauma, abuse, or a long-term illness or disability A family history of depression Other untreated problems (dysthymia, addiction to drugs or alcohol, anxiety, or antisocial behaviors)

Teens suffering from depression are more likely to:

Develop a substance abuse problem. Have a smaller social circle and take advantage of fewer opportunities for education or careers. Have trouble at school and with jobs. Struggle with relationships Partake in risky sexual activities, leading to increased rates of pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases. Catch physical illnesses.

Untreated depression is the #1 cause of suicide. 90% of suicide victims suffer from a mental illness, and going through depression can make a teenager up to 12 times more likely to attempt suicide. Less than 33% of teens with depression get help, although 80% of teenagers with depression can be successfully treated.

According to a 2021 Mental Health America (MHA) report, extreme major depression has escalated in youth to 9.7%. This is an increase from 9.2% in 2020. The 2021 MHA report also says that adolescents ages 11-17 were the most likely age group to score in the moderate-to-severe depression categories when screened for mental health conditions.

Sources:

www.teenhelp.com 

psychcentral.com