Chapter 13 - Dangerous stranger

The atmosphere in the room seems to shift with the newcomer's entrance, but I remain disengaged. After the recent argument with my father, I am not in the mood for small talk or pleasantries. I need some respite from the overwhelming tension, so I decide to withdraw to the living room. There, at least, it was quieter, and I could gather my thoughts.

As I settle into the relative solitude, I suddenly hear footsteps approaching from behind. I turned to find Mike standing there, his expression wrought with an apology. The awkward silence hangs heavy between us, and I struggle to find the right words.

"Jane, I'm sorry," he finally says, his eyes pleading for understanding.

I weigh my response carefully. "Don't do it again," I warn, my voice firm. "Do you know what would happen if Zane saw you do that?" I deliberately omit Thomas's name, not wanting to reopen that particular wound.

Mike nods earnestly. "I apologize sincerely."

"It's fine," I manage to say, though the unease still lingers. I don't want to dwell on the matter, nor do I have the time. My focus need to be on the people who truly matter.

I look up, my thoughts momentarily diverted, as little Joel approaches with his favorite toy in hand. His wide, innocent eyes hold a sense of wonder and curiosity, much like any child's.

He beams up at me, his voice filled with excitement. "Aunt Jane, look! I found my firetruck! It was under the sofa."

I can't help but smile at his enthusiasm. "That's fantastic, Joel! You're quite the little detective, aren't you?"

He nods proudly. "Yep! Now we can play together. But, Aunt Jane, where are the real firetrucks? I wanna see them!"

His innocence tugs at my heart. "Well, buddy, we can't see the real ones right now. But guess what? When everything gets better, I promise we'll go to the fire station, and you can see them up close and even talk to the firefighters."

His eyes light up with excitement. "Really? That sounds fun!"

I ruffle his hair and give him a reassuring hug. "Absolutely, Joel. We'll have an amazing adventure when it's safe. And who knows, maybe you'll even get to sit in a real firetruck!"

Joel's face brims with joy, and we continue to chat about the firetrucks, about heroes, and all the exciting things we'd do together once the world become a safer place.

As we chat, Mike brings up the topic of my interaction with Joel. He remarks, "You're great with kids," a compliment that brings a half-smile to his face.

I chuckle at the observation. "Well, you gotta learn when you have a nephew like Joel, am I right?" I reply, giving Joel a playful nudge.

Joel beams and responds, "Yeah, Aunt Jane!"

Our conversation is interrupted by approaching footsteps, and Lucas enters the room. His disapproving gaze is directed at Mike, clearly worried about any potential issues.

I assure Lucas that everything is truly fine, and he hesitantly leave us for our conversation. The topic shifts, and I can't help but voice my frustration. "I just don't understand how Venus BioTech was able to sell the virus," I ponder.

Mike shares my perplexity, shaking his head. "I don't know, man. Everything in that place is corrupt, either way." It's a concerning thought, knowing that an organization is capable of such unethical actions holds so much power in the world.

As I contemplate the troubling situation and the uncertainty of our circumstances, it feels like the weight of the world rests on my shoulders. I realize that I need to stay vigilant and keep my family safe. But where can we find a truly secure place, and when will the authorities come to our aid?