| 24 | terrifying idea

"How'd the dogs do, Cynthia?"

Cynthia stands outside her door, slinging a trash bag over one shoulder. "It's Mrs. Adams, Hayden. Mrs. Adams." She readjusts the bag. "But better. They did better. One barking spell in the morning, another in the afternoon, a handful of barks here and there. Otherwise, they were quiet enough."

I let out a slow, deep breath.

My shoulders loosen for the first time since work.

"Alright. That's good."

"It's better. Better." Cynthia slips by, her voice shrinking as she travels down the hall. "Not good! Get those barking spells to zero, and we'll reach good!"

"Understood." I glance toward Andi's door. She's supposed to be back soon, so I call to Cynthia. "Is Andi back?"

"No clue!" Cynthia turns a corner, vanishing from sight, but right as she does, a rattle and familiar click shoot through the hall.

The stairwell door opens, spitting out the girl in question.

I stand straighter.

Andi steps into the hall with tight footsteps, her dark, straightened hair dusting her shoulders through every step. From the tight black skirt wrapping her hips to the cropped, ribbed blazer enveloping her white shirt, the alluring outfit mirrors her: sharp, hiddenly sweet, and effortlessly sexy—especially those signature raven boots.

When she sees me, she stutter steps. "Hayden." She tightens her fingers around her tote strap. "Hi."

The halted boots accentuate lengthy legs, and while the dim hallway lightbulbs don't display the clearest picture, a quiet, sandy tint burns over the bare limbs. Additionally affected are the apples of her cheeks, splotched with a subtle, golden blush.

I grin. "You got some sun over the weekend."

She glances at herself. "Maybe a little." Displaying the sun in question, she raises one leg and sets it back down. "You also did, by the way."

She's right. Gold settled onto my cheeks, but I've always tanned easily, so it's nothing unusual.

Still, I like that she noticed. I like it a lot.

Andi glances at our doors. "So, the dogs?"

"Only two barking spells today."

Her lips tick up, flashing me with the faintest outline of her dimples. "Really?"

"According to Cynthia." I pause. "And the fact you and I aren't in Gillman's office."

She nods, compact and diplomatic, as she steps to her door. "That's good. It's not perfect, though." She sticks the key inside, twists, and opens the door. Bart, waiting patiently, stands on the other side, Teddy in mouth and wag to tail.