Chapter 14

18 February 2024

Amara's POV...

"Oh my baby." She dropped her things and gave me an incredibly tight bear hug. "What are you doing here mama?" I asked confused, "I just came to check on my precious baby." She looked at Eliana, "Who's this?" She asked, "This is Eliana, my roommate. Remember I told you about her." "Ah yes I do, it's nice to meet you." My mom brought her hand to shake it but Eliana had refused to do so, "Likewise." She replied. I nudged Eliana to try again and she did better. "I have to run to the store real quick Chantelle, I'll be back." I nodded in her direction and she was gone. She's probably trying to avoid my mother but that's a conversation for another day.

"Why do I get the feeling that she doesn't like me much sweetie." My mom asked as she sipped the tea I had prepared for her, "I guess she was not expecting you, but I'll talk to her." "No need, I'm just here for you." "Oh really?" I asked surprised, "Yes, I even brought something for you." She opened up her bag to reveal more pictures and souvenirs. "These are more to add to what you already have." "Oh-" "This one was handmade from your father. He had always wanted to give you this." "Why only now?" "Because-" She took a breath in and out, "I always hesitated as your father always does things that are irregular to man and it was locked so I wasn't sure if I should give it to you. But I'm sure you'll be the one to unlock it." She handed me a book that had a locket attached to it.

It felt strange to have something that really was my father's. I could feel a stream of tears rolling down my face as I held the book in my hands. My mom has hugged me and wiped the tears that kept forming in an attempt to comfort me.

A while later, I had finally calmed down. My mom and I talked and she excused herself to use the restroom.

She had left her phone, unlocked, on the table. So because of all that has been happening, I did what any person would do in that situation- I took it and searched for anything that could be suspicious because I wasn't buying the story she was trying to sell. It had visible gaps and I needed answers. And if she wasn't willing to tell me everything, I'll figure it out all myself.

I searched vigorously through her phone, not sure to what I was hoping to find but I needed something to work with. When
I had hears her footsteps coming near me, I removed any evidence of me opening or using the phone and placed it in the place I found it in.

She returned back with a smile.

Weird

(Emaline POV)

"Where did she put it." I whispered. I lied when I said I needed the bathroom. I needed to find those damn pictures.

It was too risky for these things to be in her possession. If he were to search this place because he felt suspicious of her, this would be an instant giveaway that she was my daughter.

I had found somethings so I had put that in my bag. The rest I will find another time because there's only a little I can do with the 'I need the restroom' excuse.

Back to Amara's POV...

"Are you sure you'll be okay on the couch mama? I can let you sleep in my room." "No, my dear, I want you to get your beauty rest for the day tomorrow." She waved goodnight to me and I returned into my room.

I felt an odd feeling about having her here but I brushed it off and texted Eliana to see where she was.

ᵐᵉ *ʷʰᵉʳᵉ ᵃʳᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ʳⁱᵍʰᵗ ⁿᵒʷ
ᵉˡⁱᵃⁿᵃ *ᶠᵃʳ ᵃʷᵃʸ ᶠʳᵒᵐ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ˡᵃᵈʸ, ⁿᵒ ᵒᶠᶠᵉⁿᶜᵉ
ᵐᵉ *ʷʰʸ ʷᵃˢ ʸᵒᵘ ᵃᶜᵗⁱⁿᵍ ˡⁱᵏᵉ ᵗʰᵃᵗ
ᵉˡⁱᵃⁿᵃ *ⁱ ᵈᵒ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵗʳᵘˢᵗ ʰᵉʳ, ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ'ˢ ˢᵒᵐᵉᵗʰⁱⁿᵍ ᵒᵈᵈ ᵃᵇᵒᵘᵗ ʰᵉʳ
ᵐᵉ *ˡⁱᵏᵉ
ᵉˡⁱᵃⁿᵃ *ⁿᵒᵗ ˢᵘʳᵉ ʸᵉᵗ
ᵐᵉ *ʷᵉ'ˡˡ ᵗᵃˡᵏ ʷʰᵉⁿ ʸᵒᵘ ᵇᵃᶜᵏ ᵗʰᵉⁿ, ʷʰᵉʳᵉ ʸᵒᵘ ˢᵗᵃʸⁱⁿᵍ
ᵉˡⁱᵃⁿᵃ *ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵃⁱᵈᵉⁿ, ⁱ'ˡˡ ᵇᵉ ᵇᵃᶜᵏ ᵗᵒᵐᵒʳʳᵒʷ ˣᵒˣᵒ
ᵐᵉ *ᵃˡʳⁱᵍʰᵗ, ᵍᵒᵒᵈⁿⁱᵍʰᵗ
ᵉˡⁱᵃⁿᵃ *ⁿⁱᵍʰᵗʸ ᵖʳⁱⁿᶜᵉˢˢ
ᵐᵉ *ʸᵒᵘ ᵍᵒᵗ ᵗᵒ ˢᵗᵒᵖ ᶜᵃˡˡⁱⁿᵍ ᵐᵉ ᵗʰᵃᵗ
ᵉˡⁱᵃⁿᵃ *ˡᵐᵃᵒ ˢᵉᵉ ʸᵒᵘ