Chapter 7: New Beginnings

Losing toxic

Losing toxic

People is a win

"Elena, wake up. It's time for you to get ready." My mom shook me into waking up. I groaned and pulled the covers above my head until she spoke again. "You're going to be late for your flight."

My eyes flew wide open, and I realized today was the day I fly to Vancouver. The excitement had turned into sorrows and sadness. For four years, I'll be leaving my parents behind – maybe – in the future, I'd stay in Vancouver for good. 

I pushed myself and went to the bathroom to shower. I looked at my shampoo and shower gel, the only parts of me I'd be leaving behind, some weird kind of grieving early in the morning. 

My outfit for the day was already laid out since I picked it last night.I know how messy I can get sometimes. Picking my outfits, the night before is much easier because I won't have to cram what I had to wear for the next day. Literally the best thing I had done so far.

It's just a soft pair of sweats and joggers. Comfort is the priority. Mom helped me pack things to make sure I didn't forget anything. Asian parents really take every responsibility on their shoulders, sometimes, I guess it helps decrease the burden.

"Are you ready? People are waiting." I did a double take at her.
"Your friends want to drop you off at the airport. It'll be a convoy, so let's go Elena."

I nodded, fastening my pace. I thought my friends were too busy to drop me off because they have other obligations, which is valid and alright but boy, I was wrong. I don't deserve them for real. 

On my last day, my boss gave me a party with all the staff. As if the first wasn't enough. A second farewell party just with us staff. 

My mom knew about it, that's why she wasn't mad that I went home a little bit late. Antonio already left Toronto three days ago, he told me where he was living, and it was the same place as mine. Vancouver Island. My parents were glad that I met a friend that is from Vancouver; and that he was willing to help me settle in. 

I am grateful that he was willing to do favors for me when I didn't even ask. Katherine and my other friends are already outside, with their parents waiting for us, all dressed up for my final send-off. Not going to lie, seeing them outside my house, sending me away made me tear up. I did not feel like going. 

My heart stayed there, with them. Reality was settling in.I won't be able to see them for more than one year. Ugh. The plane tickets are expensive, and my parents don't want me to spend money on flights. They'd rather visit me instead of the other way around just so I can save money.

"Are you fully ready, Elena? Everyone is waiting!" My mom yelled, her patience running thin. "Yes! I just need some final stuff to put in my bag." Aka my book, annotating supplies, air pods, charger, ChapStick, sticky notes and my wipes. The priorities.