Chapter 11

Loch Lomond had some of the best sightings in the west of Scotland. The Trossachs area has the most unbelievable magical views. The hike around the Loch and the National Park can be challenging, but Grace's energy demanded an output, and James would always make sure to amuse her.

She was pissed and hurt. Her long-time friend and confidence, the woman who helped her achieve her success, was the same one who was stealing from her. The drive from Fort William to Loch Lomond had been long and mostly quiet. He had suggested that they return to his parents' estate earlier, but Grace denied it straight away. She didn't want to ruin their trip because of this betrayal, and James was glad. If they were to return, he would have to go back to reality, and he wasn't sure he was ready for that.

"Come sit with me a moment." He asked Grace, as she gasped for air at the top of a hill, overlooking the Loch "Let's have a good rest and some coffee."

"I'm fine" Grace assured him, rubbing her sweaty palms on her jeans.

"I know you are, but amuse me" He winked, kissing the top of her head.

They picked a black rock to sit down to share a coffee from the thermal cup. James held a laugh as he saw Grace struggle with her backpack, even after she refused his help.

"What a great view" Grace finally sighed, taking off her black cap.

"That you are" He grinned at her.

"Oh, you never turn it off, do you?" Grace chuckled.

"Not with you." He kissed her smiling lips "You know... I have trust issues, too."

"I know" Grace assured him, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"I've always struggled with trusting anyone outside of my family. There was always the possibility of those who got close only for financial gain or climb the social ladder."

"People are terrible" Grace agreed.

"Then there is the other side, of course." James shrugged "Being part of the family... isn't easy. There are unrealistic expectations and completely unfair pressures. My mum..." His sigh was both annoyed and hurt this time "You know, she will try to break us up."

"Oh, I expect that" Grace snorted into laughter "I would be disappointed if she wouldn't try, it meant she didn't think you were serious about me."

"Oh, I am totally serious." James assured her with an overly serious face, making her giggle "And I know you can hold your own. I never thought I would meet someone who could. And don't get me wrong" He added with a hand up in defence "I'm not not going to date someone just because my mummy doesn't approve."

"You're a bad boy" Grace grinned.

"I just... am terrified of what she could do." James muttered, caressing her hair away from her face, forcing her to look up at him "You're tough, I've seen it from the moment we met" James' blue eyes were filled with adoration.

His words were soft and pierced her heart. She felt tears in her eyes.

"I have never met someone with such passion and openness. You... genuinely make me want to be better, do better. Be a better brother, a better friend, a better son. A better man... Grace, you've made such a lasting impact on my life, you could never understand how much. Grace, I-"

They both jump at the unusually loud sound of Grace's phone. There at the top of the hills, during a solemn moment where James finally felt safe to let her know his feelings for her, her damn phone had to ring.

"It's my sister" Grace sighed, with an apologetic smile.

James decided to get up and pace a little at the top of the hill. The view was indeed incredible, and perhaps that would be a good distraction from his racing heartbeat. He vaguely heard Grace talk to her sister about their trip, where they were and the ghosts-