16 - Goldie

Cleo

I felt like a ton of bricks were sitting on my chest. Whatever happened with me wasn't pretty, and I wasn't sure I wanted to find out. But, even though staying at one place was a big part of my job description as a sniper, that didn't mean I liked doing it in my free time. So, I made myself open my eyes. White blurry ceiling. Nothing to help me understand what happened with me. I tried to clear my vision when I felt some movements next to me. In the next moment, a face showed up above me, and a curtain of coper-colored hair fell around me, separating us from the out world.

"Hi, Goldie..." Her brows bunched together in confusion.

"Cleo?"

"Yeah?"

"You alright?"

"Maybe...Not sure about that." I felt like sand was scraping at my throat when I was trying to talk. I guess I made some kind of face showing my level of displeasure because in the next moment, the beautiful face disappeared for a second and came back with a straw pushing at my lips.

"Drink." I was opening my mouth for some kind of a smart remark, but she pushed the straw in my mouth successfully stopping me. The first sip was awful, and I was ready to give up, but her stern look above me made me continue, and luckily, it got better and a lot easier. Soon after, I finished the water in the cup, and the straw was removed from my lips. "Good. Now. Do you know who you are?"

"I already answered to you calling my name, Goldie..." The confusion was back on her face.

"If you know your name, say it." I had no idea where she was going with this, but I followed her instructions.

"Cleo Jones."

"Do you know who am I?"

"That's easy. Goldie."

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you are."

"Cleo. You've never called me 'Goldie'. So, who is this 'Goldie' person you are confusing me with?"

"Hannah, you are Goldie. Because of your eyes."

"My eyes are dark brown..."

"Yeah, but you have some gold in there...and sometimes..." I let her remember when was the last time I told her about her eyes being golden. By the redness in her cheeks, I guess she remembered. "Sometimes they get golden. Hence, the nickname Goldie. I've been calling you this for a long time..."

"No, you haven't. You've always used my name, Cleo."

"Hmm, interesting. In my head, I always think of you as 'Goldie'..."

"Look who decided to finally wake up. You know, no matter how many days you take for your beauty sleep, it won't help you." Hannah moved to the side and let me see the newcomer. Ollie was walking inside the room, holding two cups in his hands. He came to Hannah and gave her one of the cups while he kept the other.

"No coffee for me?" The sweet aroma quickly filled the room I was in.

"No, sorry, Cleo. Didn't know you decided to stop sleeping, plus you'll have to wait a few days before you get back to it."

"Oh, man. Really? Wait? But why? I feel just fine." I felt like shit, but they didn't have to know it...

"Yeah, sure, if you say so..." There was a small pause in our conversation that I used to look around the room I was in. Hospital. Who would have thought?

"So...what happened?" I waited for an answer from Ollie or Hannah, but another newcomer gave it to me.

"You decided to play it a hero or tried to see what would be like to be a Swiss cheese... we are not sure what was in your head at that time." I tried to remember, but nothing happened.