Chapter 6

Turns out moving out isn't as simple as we thought. Because the year has already started, all the apartments even relatively close to the university are taken up. That, or they ask for a ridiculous amount in rent. Something we can't afford with our part time jobs. And then there's Nina still doubting Daniel is involved in all of this. Even after I told her he walked in a minute after I was being followed. She speaks logically, she says Daniel could have come after me on basically any of the nights we stayed here. She reminds me that he knows my schedule, what was stopping him from attacking me when he knew I was home alone? I don't have answers to that. But still, deep in my heart I cannot let go of my fears. In my mind, too many things line up, all stacking up against him. That's why I spend an hour each day searching up new places to live. I don't care if the rent is higher, or the apartment is further. We need to move.

Over the coming weekend, George invites Nina to stay over at his place, so I stay the weekend at Lara's. Though Lara doesn't know anything about what happened to me, she's happy to have me stay over. We spend the weekend watching movies and dancing, just like the old days when we were kids. To make everything better, since Lara installed cameras around her apartment, she hasn't received any more photos or threats.

Just as I begin to relax a little, it happens again. It's Tuesday, right after my rehearsal, when I'm on my way home. Approximately at the same location as before. I feel the presence again, I turn, and I see the tall silhouette of a man. He stops when I look his way. Just like before. This time I'm not fully alone, there are a few other people walking. I consider approaching him then and there, he can't hurt me when there are people on the street, right? I breathe in, square my shoulders, turn my body fully towards him and walk forward. I don't get to make a full few steps before he bolts. He knows he can't harm me when there are people around. But I have quite a long way home, when I move away from the main street, I will be alone. What if he's watching me from somewhere? Following me? Waiting for a chance to attack?

I feel stupid as I pull my phone out to call a cab. I'm less than two kilometres from the apartment, yet I'm calling a taxi. But just imagining being cornered on a dark street is enough to make my mind up. I wait ten minutes for the cab to arrive, if I walked, I would be home by now. The driver laughs when I tell him the address,

"But that's like a minute drive, love" he says with a strong accent,

"I know, um... I got a little lost" I lie,

"Ah, that's alright, happens to the best of us" he says reassuringly. He stops at the building, takes twenty dollars and drives off. Twenty dollars. I felt like such a loser handing it over. I should have just walked. I'm a fast runner, even if the guy was waiting for me chances are I could outrun him.

Phil is in the apartment when I walk in. I literally feel as if it's a repeat of the other night, and I can't help but expect Daniel to walk in straight after. I've managed to avoid both Daniel and Phil since that night, I haven't run into them, haven't seen them at all. I glance at the clock, half past nine, I'm home earlier than usual. But most nights Phil comes later than this.

"Hey" he greets, looking at me questioningly. He must think I'm a lunatic after how I acted that night,

"Hi"

"You feeling alright?" he asks,

"Yes... um, sorry about the other night"

"Don't apologise" he says, "though it would be nice to know what that was all about?"

"Uh..." I shake my head, "long story"

"Okay, fair" he says carefully, "just ordering dinner, you want anything?"