Chapter -1: Two sides of the same coin- Hate and Love

Present (8 years left of the stay period)

Almost at the same moment, 4 pigeons bearing 4 different letters, flew up into sky, their senders looking off into the distance with sighs.
Meanwhile waiting with bated breaths, were 2 love stories that hung by threads. Yet to begin but facing such turmoils ahead.

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sarthak
I hope you're okay and well. And healthy.
God, I hate this so much. The bloodlust and the fight for the throne will surely kill us all one day. Still 8 years remain of that damning stay period. I wish they would just chuck the whole ruling system, by powers of gods and the Tak. I have had enough now.
I miss you so much, my best friend, my brother in arms. I keep staring at the parchment, hoping it would understand my unspoken words like you always used to, but it doesn't.
I miss your presence even more now.
You probably never knew what you were to me. I love you, like a brother of course.
I am well too.
Please be well and alive, as I can't wait to meet you again.

Brother
Your ^ Kamal

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear Kamal,
God, this place sucks without you to tease. You're okay, right? I know you are. You have to be. How can you not be, when you promised me a forever best friendship? You know I take my promises seriously and I will haunt you beyond death.
By the way, these parchments are really useless, you know. They don't speak to me as your face, your eyes used to. They aren't filled to the brim with innocence like you were (still must be, I'm sure), often averting your shy eyes, not to forget your weird love for watching women dance. Hahaha. It always looked like you had eyes for someone, which is normal for men like us. It would be weird to not like women. I totally support you, bro. Although how your tiny hands and petite size would manage to satisfy that woman at night, is beyond me. Like always, I guess I'll have to step in there too, to take some burden off your shoulder. You'd probably beat me if I had said this to your face. God, I'm imagining your face. I think the best you would have been able to do is, say 'Hey!!' and then lunge at me and have your ass handed back to you, while I only use one of my hands, and I'll be sitting victorious on top of you- shit, what am I thinking?
What's wrong with me?
(Don't think 'everything' or 'where do I even begin' or anything like that. I'll have you pinned in a single move. I know those eyes, don't roll them at me, you little shit.
I'm older than you, show some respect.)

I miss you a lot Kamal. All the damn time. There's really no one like you here, or anywhere for that matter.
Waiting for your response,
Yours forever
Sarthak

---------------------------------------------------------

Dear
*crossed out*
Honourable Prince Ujjawal,
Don't get your hopes up uselessly. I wrote that by mistake, kind of like a habit. You are in no way dear to me or to anyone, except your mother. My sympathies with her for giving birth to someone like you. Ohh, the sheer horror of being related to you.
(Shudders violently)
*Crossed out*
(No, I won't be shuddering beneath you, before you start getting dirty ideas in your brain.)
God, why did I make that promise? Why didn't I die a second before I entered your chamber that day? Or the second before I heard that you have summoned me? Or the second before I ever met your despicable self?

Anyways, as per my darned promise and your 'ROYAL' order to me, I state my report with vehement loathing for you, in hopes that this letter finds you dead or in severe pain and ailments at the very least.
-----
(Important info from here.)
1. The palace council remains as it was, with minister Bimal being unusually punctual and having regular tea times with former king Utkarsh, in the former king's chamber. Couldn't get close.
2. The queens keep arguing between themselves as usual, with the chief queen holding all the invisible reins. Also, I haven't seen her personal maid in a long time. Doesn't look good.
3. Your father, King Vyomesh is busy with prostitutes, even after the last news of his paralysis, which the doctors have said is incurable. The rumours are that his lower body is paralyzed forever now.
4. One of your brothers, Prince Dwijaroop is back in the palace. I tried to spy more but I think he suspects me, and tried to get handsy with me, not unlike you often do, so I ran.
I later discovered that he spent his nights with one of the maids. (Thank Gods and the Tak that he didn't violate another maiden of rural Critakas.)
-----
That's all for my report, and no I won't tell you what I am wearing or how I took bath, so kindly stop asking me that with every letter and allow me peace in life, without having to hate you even more than I already do.
If I have said this once, I have said it a thousand times, please get this in your mind that I would rather die than even look at you.
You have so many maids who would willingly give you their all and also, spy for you, why must you go to such lengths to ruin my life and my time? (Yes, for the last time, you don't scare me, you never will.)
With hopes of never having to hear from you,
Sunaina

---------------------------------------------------------

My dearest Sunaina,
I am well and alone, thinking of you. (You can guess what I am doing while I'm thinking of you. *wink*)
Your last report was a darling, except for the smidgen of your refusal to my ardent love for you, or my desire to know what you were wearing when you wrote the last letter.
Though not strictly important for the mission, might I suggest trying to write the letter naked? It does enable sharper memory and helps you recall better the previous events. I have personally found an enhanced vocabulary when a person is freed from the constraints that the fabrics are, upon one's innate being. We were not intended by gods, and nature, to wear clothes and we should keep it as such. Especially you, who god has made with extreme care and patience. But maybe, you're right. Don't be naked infront of others, keep that sight safe for my eyes so that your beauty can be appreciated properly.
----
You can start reading from here, like always, because I think you might tear this letter otherwise.
Keep an eye on the chief queen, her personal maid Krusha, and her personal guard Soham the most. I have found some evidence that are suggestive. Won't say more here.
Keep tracks of queen Omika, she's not that bright but her maid is no good.
Keep tracks of all the ministers and see if you can find out something. (Although my grandfather will likely not let that happen.)
And if possible, try to keep a track who my grandfather meets, that might be a big clue as well. If you see anyone you dont know, keep that information in mind for when we meet in person. Don't put it in the letter.
Now most importantly, No matter what you do, do not get caught, or risk yourself for any information. If there's even slightest doubt of getting caught, leave the place and abandon that attempt. We can always pry later but we can't have you suspected or worse, accused of espionage. With my absence at the palace, you'll be hard bent to find any help or mercy or even justice there.
Here onwards, we will use code names we discussed, for the people we discussed in our last meeting. This whole scenario reeks of double crossing and trouble to me and I don't want you becoming a scapegoat for me. (Roll those beautiful eyes all you want, because even if you don't believe it, I care for my people.)
------
In case you're wondering, your charms and allure are what keeps me company at nights and my solitude and desire are what keeps me company in the day.
Your refusals wound me but my passion for you is ever burning and ever growing. Allow me to show you what a woman like you deserves and let me teach you how a man can make even a dancer like you, move in ways your body never had. Those twirls you do, will be embarrassed at how I'll twirl you, I promise.

Awaiting your next letter is,
your lover and your servant,
Ujjawal

---------------------------------------------------------

Their senders gazed at the pigeons till they were no longer visible, which was really quickly since the night has almost fallen completely. Then they rolled up their parchments and the box carrying seals, quills and ink pots.

A few moments later, there were no signs of anyone ever having been there.
The silence of the night was resounding and the moon gleamed as though smiling, having seen it all, like it does every night, the unknown secret keeper of countless such pursuits.

~~~~~
Chapter Word Count- 1554 words
Total Word Count- 1955 words