Chapter 2 - Tainted

-

.- ... .- . .-..

The longer I stare, the more I trust my eyes and ears that this is real. There really is a person in my room. Alive and there.

He scoffs and crosses his arms over his chest. "Tell me already so we can get this over with."

He speaks as though I was the one who brought him here. I'm just as surprised. How did he even get here?

"What?" I ask, hand still by the light switch as I watch his every little move by my closet. "No, who even are you? How are you here?"

He raises a brow. "Surely you jest. You summoned me to do your bidding, and I came. It's that simple."

"Summoned you?" When did I...? I tilt my head. "I-I think there's... You know what, there definitely was a mistake here."

His face contorts to one of annoyance. For some reason, looking at him frowning and seemingly mad sends a terrified shiver across my body. I don't even know who he is. Only that he said he was summoned here.

But how? I was praying to God and receiving His blessing, and then...

My eyes jump to the candles and the folder Remi left behind. The warmth seemingly burning my soul, the candles dying out and giving out a different scent, and the prayer... I miscarried the prayer when I felt the burning.

I shake my head, not even sure which is it here that's weird. The fact that I had a burning sensation or lost proper form that messed up the prayer. It may be easier to understand if it happened in reverse, but no.

Now, a dark and edgy person is standing before me, reverberating the most intense glare and vibration to the air between us.

"So... I summoned you," I say, repeating what I understand from his words and trying to literate my messy thoughts. "I was praying, you see. So I don't get how that happened, but-"

"Are you saying-"

"But," I emphasize, cutting him off and earning another sharp squint. I gulp before I continue, "But I think I couldn't handle the holy spirit, or something like that."

"Huh?" His tone reeks of disbelief.

"Hear me out."

He leans on my closet door, edging me to continue with a nod. The more I'm in this situation, the more I understand what's happening. And the more I do, the more the rumbling fear in the pit of my stomach is reaching my veins.

If he is who I think he is... doesn't that mean I'm in deep trouble?

"So maybe I couldn't handle the holy spirit or God's blessing or something." Or whatever that burning sensation on my side is all about. "Because of that, I, well, messed up my posture during the prayer and... may have..."

"Am I to assume that is, then, when you..." He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath, his voice suddenly unrecognizably trembling—not in fear, I'm afraid. "accidentally summoned me?"